1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ma snow fighters reporting >1ton salt use?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mpgall26, Jun 29, 2012.

1. mpgall26

mpgall26 Senior Member

2. mpgall26

mpgall26 Senior Member

first link

3. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

Everyone in RI knows the biggest offenders in the state are the DOT and Municipalities . Melt the snow,don't push it. All you have to do is look at the side of the road. All the vegetation is brown.

4. fireside

fireside Senior Member

What a great job for someones friends!! I don't think it's the amounts used it's the storage for the products. Largest offender's is the state dot. In my state salt storage for more than 6 months over 100 ton's requiers it to be stored in a structure. It also requiers it to be loaded in the same building reducing salt run off. How many time do you see that happening!
    I 'm thinking whats the fines for not reporting could be big money for the state in these tuff time's:mad::mad:

5. csi.northcoast

csi.northcoast Senior Member

i love it ...next you will be reporting on how much you applied on all the roads & parking lots, and have to somehow recoup it from getting into the waterway... just the EPA trying to find work for itself and substaniate its existance

6. fireside

fireside Senior Member

If you read the law that's the info they want. Along with the amount you have in storage.
    usage for mass dot is easy they will just print off usage from there trucks computers.
    I was told by someone in the state dep. they wanted the private guy's to show tickets for the there product bought(tonage) and total spread on each account per year. There was also talk of requiering contractors to be licenced by the state to apply it. Thank god for the mass guy's someone in the state had a brain and stopped that part

7. fireside

fireside Senior Member

this is the section that applies to most contractors

) A person who uses more than 1 ton of the chemicals described in this section in a calendar year shall report annually to the department of environmental protection on November 1 and at such other times as prescribed the amount of such chemicals used in the previous 12 months specified by road section or other location and the amount of chemicals on hand. Copies of such reports shall be made available upon the request of a concerned state or municipal agency or commission. The department may require studies by competent professional personnel of the probable impact of proposed new or improved highways and the maintenance thereof by use of such chemicals upon reservoirs, ponds, streams, lakes, wetlands and the groundwater aquifers associated with both public and private water sources. Estimates of such chemicals to be applied on proposed roadways and other paved areas shall be based upon the most recent records of chemicals actually applied as reported under this section.

8. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

i know a guy that was telling me that he was storing left over salt inside a garage, like a standard 4 car detached garage, and had his neighbors complain to the powers that be. he got a 1k fine and had to re-locate the salt. not sure about any regs around here, he was more inner city. but being inside a sealed structure, dont see what issue, other than it was a residential area i guess.

all my stuff is kept inside shipping containers, so they better keep off me in ohio. they are very lax around here about alot of this stuff, but as the state gets more and more in the red, who knows what they will start implementing/enforcing to generate revenues.

9. fireside

fireside Senior Member

I would think he got fined for commercail operation in a non zoned area. Most states that i read about if it's covered its good to go

10. ponderosa

ponderosa Member

they have tried it three years in a row in nh but have got it kicked out so far . they keep trying we keep fighting it

11. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

thats what i was thinking as he was telling me the story but he said it was specifically for the storage. there was no other vehicles/equipment around.