1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

MA Laws...help

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by mpgall26, Sep 19, 2011.

1. mpgall26

mpgall26 Senior Member

I am confused as to Ma and DOT requirments. I have a HD2500 (GVW 9200) and Fisher 8'HD (700+lbs) and carry at least 1 JD snowblower (~400lbs) either in back or small trailer. Insurance insists on commercial reg and policy (also getting GL & umbrella) which brings me to the question of; What laws does that meen I have to adhere to.
    -I never leave MA so dont think i need DOT#
    -I can get extinguisher and stuff easy enough, no issue
    -My gross weight will be over 10,001 the minute I load up and get in , so thats a bunch of BS
    -My lightbar is a mini which is magnetically attached and not going to be permanenty mounted.
    -It looks like I technically need a CDL? What type for 10,001-26,000 (usually trailer stuff)
    -Magnetic signs are legit as is
    -Do i need a commercial vehicle inspection sticker also?

WTF

GRANDVIEW I hope your reading this. I'm just about ready to say forget it after getting EIN#, LLC, advertising, bank accounts etc.

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

DOT numbers are free to get you should have one any way.
    You have all the goodies for the truck now.
    I don't think you need a CDL
    NY State is just a safety inspection ,not sure about your state.

http://www.dfmurphy.com/MADOTAdoptsRegs

3. CS-LAWNSERVICE

CS-LAWNSERVICE Member

I did not think you needed CDL till over 26,000

4. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

You don't need DOT numbers or a CDL.

5. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

With commercial plates you need a DOT number. You do not need a CDL til 26,001 Lb

6. mpgall26

mpgall26 Senior Member

Great feedback as always. Thank you
    Grandview, knew you'd be the first in, thanks

7. cretebaby

Why?

He is under 10k GVWR. Private carrier. Stays intrastate.

http://www.glspermits.com/massachusettsdot_madot_mastatedot

8. theplowmeister

from MA

he said he is over 10,001 and commercial, MA requires a DOT number, his company name and phone number on truck.

$350 fine for not having

AND

you need a DOT physical card. for trcks over 10,001 Lb

9. eze

eze Junior Member
    from Mass

i am confused to as why will your gross weight be over 10001. your truck weighs about 6500 to 7000 so with a 800 lb plow a 400 lb blower and you 200. your only at 8400 lbs. if you did weigh 10.0001 then you would be overweight and have a whole new series of problems if you got stopped
    you dont need a cdl for your truck. 10,000 to 26000 requires a health card and are automatically registered as commercial vehicles by the registry you dont have a choice. Magnetic signs are a no go on commercial truck. they have to be permanent and on the door.

10. cretebaby

HIS GVWR is 9200.

11. cretebaby

Says who? Magnets are fine for FMCSR.

12. theplowmeister

from MA

My bad I saw the "over 10,001" but missed the GVW

good question, is it possible to get ticketed for being over GVW and will he then get ticketed for not complying with laws governing trucks over 10,001 GVW

Ive been weighed only once driving a dump truck. cost my boss $650 bucks He was to cheep to buy the over weight permit. PS it is not possable to have that dump truck even 1/2 way loaded and not need a weight permit. (just another tax)

13. mpgall26

mpgall26 Senior Member

They readily admit to a new focus on ma enforcement on small operators, so now a 3/4 ton like HD 2500 with GVW of 9200 is over 10,001 as soon as a grown man gets in w plow on since commercial operation is based on GCW and anything "combined" with a 9200lb truck is over the 10k limit. So if I understand correctly now I need medical card, safety equip, commercial insp, etc. What burns me is that I am technically now an interstate operator if on a day off I take this truck across state lines with my family for a vacation because I have commercial plates and GCW is over (and my wife is hot, how do I explain she's overweight..lol) Which technically means DOT # is needed Do I get busted if I peel off my snow removal signs for an August vacation in NH. Wouldnt care if I had a big international, but I drive a frigin pickup.

14. mpgall26

mpgall26 Senior Member

Plowmeister, now yor share my confusion. I thought I was good until I came across some of the language regarding combined weight. I said initially I'll just carry blower in the pickup and screw the trailer, solves problem?? Being told no because combination refers to anything added to gross vehicle inside, out, towed, doesn't matter if I'm in control of any weight over 10,001 then I have to comply with 10,001-26000 regulations.

15. eze

eze Junior Member
    from Mass

in mass any trailer under 10,000 is considered a freebie towards your gcwr. I have a 21,500 gvw truck and haul a 9.990 gvw trailer and dont need a cdl. if i had a 10,001 lb trailer i would. I spent a good long time on the phone with a mas dot officer one day and this is what he told me

16. cretebaby

You are jumping to a lot of conclusions here.

You can't get a 2500 over 10k without adding serious weight like a loaded salt spreader.

Personal use is exempt from the DOT requirements.

17. snobgone

snobgone Senior Member
    from CT

If you have DOT numbers you are never exempt and you will get popped if you are overloaded if the cop decides to be a ball buster. If you have a trailer on you have exceeded the 10k limit too. Not only would you need a med card, you would have to get an annual inspection and do pre trip inspections. At least thats what Officer Bates will tell you as he waits on the MA-CT line. And, trailers need a federal inspection stickers in MA too. How bout a leaky fuel can in the back when they tip it upside down? That's a $500.00 fine. BS.

18. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

Here is how it was explained to me:

Any vehicle or a COMBINATION of vehicles that is 10,001 lbs or greater requires a DOT#.

When I'm in my truck, technically I don't need one. When I hook my gooseneck up to my truck, I am over 10,001 lbs and require a DOT#.

I recently took a trip to CA in my truck while pulling a travel trailer. I called ahead to CHP to find out if I needed to cover or remove my DOT# and they said not to worry about it. If I did get pulled over, I should just explain to the officer that I was clearly on vacation.

19. cretebaby

You are exempt anytime you are not over 10k GCWR or personal use.

That is why the numbers should be on magnets. Just take them off when you don't need them.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  20. mpgall26

mpgall26 Senior Member

Cretebaby, HD2500 is 9200lbs naked. I put on a 750lb plow and that's 9950GCW right ? Then I fuel up and get in and am overweight right? So now I need all the crap right?