1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

MA. Flashing Light Permit

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Hummerslawncare, Dec 8, 2005.

1. Hummerslawncare

Hummerslawncare Member
    from Mass.

Just wanted to let everyone know that the state of Mass. does offer a "Flashing light permit" although not mandatory it's a good thing to have as it has saved my a** in more ways than one. Everyone asks how do I get one? well this is the strange thing it's not offered on mass's wabsite and the only way to get one is go the the RMV personally and ask a Manger or Head and they will give you one and the graet thing is there FREE!!:waving:

2. Something FREE from the Commonwealth of Mass?. You better grab it. :nod: I grew up in Springfield and left at 25. I never remember anything free.

3. mikemac

mikemac Member
    from ma

are you serious? what rmv did you go to? also, what is the point of the permit? aren't we allowed to use amber flashing lights or does this permit allow us to use maybe clear?
    Mike

4. Hummerslawncare

Hummerslawncare Member
    from Mass.

Permit

Mikemac-my unle is head of the Leominster RMV and he got me and application filled it out got a permit within days! Free yes FREE:drinkup: . It allows you to have Flashing Amber or clear Lights as long as your not being dumb and pulling people over with them:nono: . But the local ploice love to stop me for amber flashing light while plowing and i flash this and they appoligize and I'm on my merry way.

Hope this helps!
    Happy plowing

5. mikemac

mikemac Member
    from ma

do you have hideaways? i have clears in the front and a pair of red and amber in the back tail lights. is this similar to what you got? you think i would be able to get a permit or is it a "nephew-uncle" thing.
    Mike

6. Hummerslawncare

Hummerslawncare Member
    from Mass.

permit

No it has nothing to do with relationship any joe shmo can just go in and get one having the strobes in your headlights qualify as wig-wags which are illegal however chang them to amber and your golden! I have the same setup you have only mine are amber in the front.

7. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

Never heard of such a thing?

Hungh? I could understand a permit for red or blue here in Mass but amber?
    I guess I have been lucky after plowing commercially on public roads for over 15 years and one to five units on the roads each year never have been pulled over for my lights? What does the permit say on it?

8. meathead1134

meathead1134 Senior Member
    from MA

If it's not mandatory why bother wasting your time at the RMV??? If not against the law why are you getting pulled over??? I'm just trying to use some logic here.

BTW Who would be dumb enough to pull over for a flashing amber light anyway? Why would you even try to pull someone over with an amber? This state is a pain in the @ss

9. makplow

makplow Senior Member

I`ve been trying to get information about clear stobes, every one seems to have differant opinions about them. I have to agree with hummer if hi unk is head of the leominster RMV. I don`t have a permit yet, but I`m plowing for my town, plus I know some of the police officers.:salute:

10. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Ask the State Police about the flashing light questions- they are the DOT and will refer you to a DOT officer who can answer for you. Most local PD's don't have the time to train on things like that and don't encounter enough of it to bother.

Correction: "I believe it falls under the CMRs. I do know it is illegal for plow operators to have any color other than amber. for those plow guys that have the white strobes in there headlights and red strobes in the tailights there in violation of MGL c90 s7E." this is an excerpt from a police bulletin board http://www.masscops.com/forums/showthread.php?p=44617

I am trying to search the exact text in the MGL but not all is online yet.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2005
  11. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

I don't think you need a "flashing light permit" to plow in a parking lot, and there is no need to be driving down the road with your lights on. :rolleyes:

12. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

I have a close friend who is a Trooper, I'm going to ask him about this and I'll post what I find out.

It seems silly to require a permit for amber, like someone said above, red or blue lights are another story. Nobody will "pull over" in Mass for someone flashing amber lights, according to my buddy the cop it's hard enough to get most people to stop with his blue lights. Common sense would say the cops would want you to have some sort of amber light running for safety.

In terms of having your lights running while you're driving down the road, I say that's up to the guy driving the plow truck. I know some guys think you're a jacka$$ if you drive with them on, like you're trying to show off or something. I don't buy that because I know enough about people to know that nobody really cares. If the weather is bad, which it usually is when we're all out there, I keep my ambers ON, even when driving from one job to another. I want people to SEE me as soon as they can, and if increased visibility helps keep some idiot from pulling out in front of me or cutting me off while I have over 800 pounds hanging off my front end, then it's worth it.

I don't care what people think. Another thing is that at night on the highway while transporting the plow, I go slow, no faster than 60 usually. With my ambers on, people don't come flying up behind me and ride my a$$, they know right away I'm a plow vehicle and they give me a wide berth. Oh, and when the cops go by me, they usually wave :waving: , because they know that like them, I'm out there in the snow working so there's no reason for them to give me a hard time. JMO.......

13. JPLTrucking

JPLTrucking Member

The only lights you need a permit for are red or blue flashing. The permit is issued by the RMV with a letter of approval by your local Chief of Police. Also Chapter 90 Sec 7 (Emergency Flashers) states that the front and rear lights flash simultaneously, meaning that alternating flashing strobes in the rear tail lights are illegal (technically...). There is no need for a permit for an amber light on a plow truck.

As a police officer, I have never (and never heard of) anyone pulling over a plow truck for having flashing amber lights, or hideaway strobes for that matter. But there are always the exceptions...:rolleyes:

14. bgingras

bgingras Senior Member

I've read through the MGL sections on vehicle lighting and can only find restrictions on red and blue, nothing for yellow(amber) clear, or even green. A friend of mine was thinking of adding some green to his bar, and I can't blame him, people don't pay attention to yellow any more, a different color may wake them up. I have been checking around for a green lense for my whelen eldge to ad just one green strobe to the mix also.

15. Winter Land Man

Winter Land Man Senior Member

I was talking to a cop who said it's mandatory to have a flashing light on your truckwhen plowing. Even someone plowing their own driveway.

16. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

that can't be right - on your own property you can do what you want.

17. mikemac

mikemac Member
    from ma

over the summer i installed 4 hidewaways in my taillights. it's a 99 silverado so i have the amber directional. in each taillight, i put one strobe in the brake light and one in the amber directional. i have it set up so when i flip the switch, the two strobes in the brake lighit flash red together, and the two strobes in the amber light flash together. a local cop told me that he doesn't have a problem with the red flashing, however i've heard that guys have got fined up to 1000 bucks for red flashing taillights. i think i'm going to move the strobes in the brake light to my reverse lights (clear). then i'll have clear and amber. you guys think that's a safer idea? anyone running something similar?

18. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

People don't pay attention to amber anymore becausre it's overused- every guy with a plow has amber lights running all night during a storm and every tow truck runs them way too often- the public is desensitised to them.

The cop saying you need them all the time is wrong- on public ways only- never on private property. Almost all motorvehicle laws are moot on private property.

As top the green lights, I would check the law first. Don;t think you can use green- I think you can only use amber legally in MA. The code online is incomplete- not all chapters are available. I'm going to bug my state trooper DOT friend this week about this- he'll know for sure and I'll see if I can;t get the exact wording for here.
    I know this- Red is fire, blue is police, purple is hearse.

19. meathead1134

meathead1134 Senior Member
    from MA

By reading this whole thread I have heard both yes and no answers. Here is what I do. While I'm driving I don't have on my light. As I approach a customers lot I turn them on about 500 to 1000 feet prior to me making an entrance. I keep them on when plowing, I turn them off as soon as I complete the job.

20. JPLTrucking

JPLTrucking Member

Be careful with green. Nothing says you can't have green, but nothing says you can. It is ok to have amber for a plow. There is nothing that says you can have green. Be careful. People may see your green lights and mistake you for a security vehicle.

Again, the guys that abuse their lights are the ones that get giged...