1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

m35a3 mountain plow

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by jrhunter, Dec 19, 2014.

1. jrhunter

jrhunter Junior Member
    from Montana

I have a bobbed m35a3c with a hydraulic winch. The rig is awesome and runs perfect. It weighs 12,300 pounds but is the same length as my Tundra. I have chains for the 45" super singles. I will be using it to plow an unmaintained BLM road. The road is 5 miles long and climbs 2000' to my property, at grades up to 16%. Most of the road follows the valley bottom with some sidehills. Road base is all native material with gravel in it. A few stretches are dirt and a pain when wet. In the summer a 2 wheel drive is adequate for the road. We get a few feet of snow each year and my wife wants the road passable for her Murano.
    Does anyone have experience with this setup? Edge or full blade trip? No one makes mounts for this truck, so it will require mods. Any help in plow selection or general advise for this setup is appreciated.
  2. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

No help with the plow, but I'd love to see pics of the road, house, etc.

Well, other than find a municipal type plow.
  3. Robinson_Cnst

Robinson_Cnst Senior Member

I would think a 10' DXT would look awesome on that beast. Mount wouldn't be hard to fab. Post pics, even if just the truck for now!
  4. 98K3500

98K3500 Member
    from WI

I second the muni plow comment. You will need something that will hold up to some serious abuse, not only from the truck, but the terrain itself. Some HD skid shoes will be in order for sure.

Also, bobbing a "deuce" is awesome, but remember that your truck is most likely very front-heavy due to the loss of all that weight out back. Plan to add some serious ballast to help maintain momentum and traction...

Screw pics of the house/property. I want to see pics of yhe truck!

5. HALH VT

HALH VT Senior Member
    from Vermont

If you are not already a member at steelsoldiersdotcom, go there and join. The site is devoted to ex-military vehicles and equipment of all types. There are a few guys on there that have plow setups on deuces, and it is also a valuable resource for other information.

I actually downloaded a TM (army tech manual) about snow removal. I don't have it on this computer, so I can't give the numbers. There were pictures and information about plow setups for the M35. There was also a very funny picture that showed what happens when some idiot parks a spreader full of salt and it doesn't get found until June.
  6. jrhunter

jrhunter Junior Member
    from Montana

Here is a picture of my future plow rig and the future house site. I believe you are correct about the front end weight, so I have chains for all four wheels and plan to add some weight for winter. As to commercial plows, I have some concern as there are hair pin turns and some narrow spots, but I will look into it. Thank you.

House site.jpg
  7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

You are one lucky dude. What an amazing view.

PS You owe me a keyboard, mine is not drool proof.
  8. jrhunter

jrhunter Junior Member
    from Montana

I would sure appreciate it if you can find the tech manual. Thanks.
  9. dellwas

dellwas Senior Member

Checked out steelsoldiers.com? Anything and everything you want to know about military vehicles is there, including manuals. Here's a link to the tech section: