1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lucas Syn Gear Lube

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by GLS, Nov 11, 2003.

1. GLS

GLS Senior Member

Has anyone ever used the synthetic gear lube by Lucas?

I put it in my differential and transfer case. My diff is limited slip and it used to rattle like heck when it was engaging, but now I can't even tell it is locking in. It seems to work very well. I would recommend it.

[​IMG]

lucas.jpg

2. GLS

GLS Senior Member

back side

lucas2.jpg

3. vector6

vector6 Senior Member

never used it...

but i sure enjoy playing with the display thing they have to display the viscosity of lucas oil treatment @ the local auto parts store
    :yow!:

every time im in there i tell them i need that in my office..

4. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

I always thought that the display was pretty trick but it dosnt seem to be very well liked over here http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/ . Its kinda like the plowsite of oil. There is a pretty good forum on there. He might be kinda biased beings he is a schaffers oil dealer but how he explains stuff make sense and he always has seemed objective to me.

What kinda oil did you have in there before and is it a clutch type limited slip or gov lock?

5. GLS

GLS Senior Member

Interesting site ratlover.

I didn't have time to read many posts, but it seems that "bob" doesn't like the Lucas Oil Additive. I'll have to search for the actually syn gear oil when I have time.

It is a clutch type LSD which I think requires an additive (which I did not use when I changed it, and I have no rattle). Before it just had standard 80W90 GL5.

6. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

Clutch type limited slips do require an additive. When using the GM additive(the only stuff I would use JMO) You can add part of it and keep adding till it stops chattering and add just a hir more, this way you get max grippyness.

I would just use regular old dino 80 90 with the GM additive if it were me.