1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by kcplowmata, Nov 21, 2007.

1. kcplowmata

kcplowmata Senior Member
    from kc

What is the best for a seized drag chain on a spreader?
  2. no experience here

not with drag chains or spreaders

but some with seized chains and pulleys
    A. PB-PowerBlaster (spray cans or by the gallon for pump sprayer

I live by the stuff. Cleans chrome, my roofing tools , removes anti-seize,etc

B. Most will suggest Fluid Film here. My experience is about a week old
    so I cant say much. But, the PB-Blaster will free anything and I have heard
    long tails about FF
  3. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

Same here on the lack of spreader chain experience, but I do know wintergreen oil is a great penetrant and rust buster. I always keep a bottle in my tool box.
  4. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

cut it out and replace. unfortunatly it will never loosen up all the way and will end up needing replacement.Replacing it now is alot eaiser than when it is full.
  5. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

froze up

if you cant soak it lose and smack it with a hammer lightly ,if you can or have to replace it better spray it down after it is emptied with diesel in a pump sprayer and run it and spray it again .their is a company that make's a variety of good stuff for lubricating and breaking loose any thing that is frozen ,i think it's the best thing since caned beer .kano laboratories nashville tn. 615-833-4101 fax 615-833-5790 we use silikroil at work it will break loose about any thing short of a using a torch they make a lot of other product's also www.kanolabs.com
  6. UglyTruck

UglyTruck Senior Member

Well said WILDBILL.....I was gonna go off on a Kano rant....then I read your post...

Kroil is the greatest penetrating rust-buster ever. (I cant stand PB Blaster...it stinks and dosent work, at least not for me) the straight Kroil (orange can, black lettering) penetrates better that the Silly-Kroil, but does not lube very well for very long, the Silly-Kroil contains Silocone. therefore, lubes fairly well. the problem is they are both hard to find.

the best place that I have found to buy Kroil is out of a gunsmithing catalog....when buying it there it is availab both in spray cans & in a pump bottle.

I dont know where you work, but it can generaly be gotten through the lawson, fastenall, or other industral supplier...but be ready for sticker shock...generally 16-25 a can....but its worth it.

there are many on here that will tell you to use Fluid-film...I dont know if it will work....it is fairly thick & I dont know how well it penetrates.
  7. kcplowmata

kcplowmata Senior Member
    from kc

cool thanks guys ... pb stinks and the reaction time for it to works is slow
  8. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

good stuff

you can buy it on amazon.com
  9. LON

LON Senior Member

you didn't say if it is a pintle chain or roller chain. If it is a roller chain then figure on replacing, once those rollers rust fast you'll never get them to roll again. Pintle may loosen up I wouldn't count on it. Check the links closely for thin areas and if they are thin, replace it before you have to shovel off an entire load.
  10. Wicked500R

Wicked500R Senior Member

I would also replace it. Thats an insurance policy to me. However, I just purchased a drag chain for an 8' Air-Flo, it was 450.00:eek: So yours might be a little pricey.
  11. kcplowmata

kcplowmata Senior Member
    from kc

yep its an airflo