1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

LSD vs. Diff Lock and Purchase Question

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by VTDave, Aug 27, 2008.

1. VTDave

VTDave Member
    from VT

I need your help. I'm in the market for an '03 - '06 Chevy/GMC 1500 extended cab for personal plowing and daily driver duty (read: the wife will sit in it). Since I plow on a steep, icy hill with lots of spots to get stuck, I think I need something better than two open differentials. So, I want to buy a truck with a locking rear diff or at least a limited slip rear diff. Questions:

1. Which is better?

2. How can I tell if a truck has this option installed?

3. If you were me, which trim level and option package would you get?

Thanks very much.
  2. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

It will have the RPO code G80 in the glovebox.
  3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

A locking diff is your only option on the GM's. No LSD available.

Like ABES said. Look for the "G80" option on the white option decal...usually located on the gloxbox door.
  4. VTDave

VTDave Member
    from VT

Thanks, I'll look for RPO code G80. Did this come as part of any option packages, or was it a stand-alone option only?

I'm assuming the "locker" is clutch-based and engages itself when it senses slip, right? It's not like there's a "diff lock" button on the dash that you push to turn it on/off, right?
  5. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

the eaton G80 detects wheel spin and engages automatically to gain traction.
  6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

They came with the Z71 off road package across the board. But you could also order it as a stand alone option.

The Gov-loc's are sort of a "hybrid" in that they are clutch based but unlike a typical clutch equipped LSD it also has the mechanical ability to physically lock the axle shafts together at lower speeds when wheel slip is detected. Usually about 80 rpm difference in wheel speed is enough for them to mechanically lock.

And no diff lock button...all automatic.