1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

LSD for Dana 44

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Lone136, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Lone136

Lone136 Senior Member

Well, I put new 4,56 gears in the rear last week in my 1500 Ram and I feel like a have a new truck. The question now is before I have the new gears installed in the front do you think I should go ahead and install a LSD in the dana 44 along with the new 4,56 gears? I am running 35.s with a 7.6 HD fisher. Did well with the 355 gears, but can't wait to see how it feels with 4.56 gears. Input please.

I also did a vortex spray in bed liner Sat night.I do it to everyones elses truck so it was my turn to take care of my Ram for a change

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

for snow conditions if you ask me and lots of offroad guys . . . go selectable like arb air locker or somthing along those lines.

full locked all the time tends to make the truck steer real hard and require hydro assist conversion . also makes the truck wana slide sideways if on a side slope of a hill or lot.

i have seen and drivin in both open and locked or posi and its not fun in the snow for reg everyday use.

my current offroad build thats geared to run offroad and play in lots of snow i had full lockers for it then read up on lots of guys wishing thay had the option in the front to unlock and go back to open diff. so i sold my lockers and got 2 arb air lockers.

yes arb is a lot of money but well worth it in my book and others also feel the same.

but if you still want posi in the front dont do the trac-loc thay are week and wear out kind of fast. nicknamed trash-loc.

go with the power-loc if you can get one. much better and full reman is easy on them.

also posi or locker in front on 1/2 and 3/4 ton axles = much faster death to axle wheel u-joints.

and for what its worth i run open front and posi rear in my setup with 4.10 and 35" tires on a 8ft or 9ft fisher blade . no problems to speek of yet.

3. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

I agree with selectable for the front, nothing worse than having both wheels locked on a slippery road.

4. Lone136

Lone136 Senior Member

Well it seems I will have to start saving more pennys. I just can't aford a selectable at this time

5. Lifted4x4Astro

Lifted4x4Astro Senior Member

Put a Detroit True-trac in that 44. It is a limited slip and handles awesome in the snow! I put one in the 44 I had in the front of my old 98 Astro. It never pulled weird when locked in 4x4 and I also plowed with it. They are a lot less than the selectables.

[​IMG]