1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

lquid salt spaying set up

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by jess_29, Aug 11, 2005.

1. jess_29

jess_29 Junior Member

I am looking for information on the liquid salt spraying set up. Equipment manufacturers, and opinions.

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

It's called "brine". Go to the thin blue bar above. Find the word "search" with an arrow. Using the keyword "brine" you should find a lot of information and opinions, including setups.

3. fortydegnorth

fortydegnorth Senior Member

Last year I purchased a Turbo-Turf Hydroseeder for seeding new lawns from Turbo Technologies and they have a kit to adapt a boom sprayer for deicing. I don't know what your business is in the summer but for the money you could have two very profitable tools. I believe the website is turbotechnologies.com

4. jess_29

jess_29 Junior Member

Great! We do landscaping in the summer as well. I was also wondering, ive heard about wetting the salt as it comes out of the spreader, is that better than just straight brine?

5. snowtime

snowtime Junior Member
    from Ohio

I've seen some of the bigger spreaders with that - but never a small one. Do you think its worth it? I've always been told to just spray the salt pile before you put it in the spreader (one reason I've been looking at 2 stage spreaders). I assume a single stage wouldn't work too good with wet salt.

6. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

SnowTime are you talking about pretreating your bulk salt. That is different then a "sprayed on application". One is treating bulk salt in a pile and mixing, or spraying your pile in the spreader. The other is A brine application that is sprayed on with a Tank and pump that apply threw a boom with nozzles.
    Todd

7. snowtime

snowtime Junior Member
    from Ohio

I realize they are different - I was just wondering if there would be an advantage to a spreader that treats the salt on the spinner, vs. treating the pile in advance. AND, is that better than straight liquid spray on the road?

My understanding was that you would use liquid as a pretreater (before accumulation), and the treated salt is good for low temps. I don't do anything yet with salting though - just residential driveways.

On big ones I can see why (and I'm told you get a lot more of the pretreater into the salt and it would be difficult to treat a ton of salt), but on the little ones I wonder if there would be an advantage (keep wet salt out of your hopper?).