1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

<<LQQK>>Salt Spreading for Dummies/ Ice Control 101

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MidAtlantic, Feb 28, 2005.

1. MidAtlantic

MidAtlantic Member

Come on doesn't every owner, supervisor, instructor always tell the guys to "ALWAYS TIE DOWN YOUR LOAD"???? What was this guy thinking????

This is what happens when you let dummies do it all for you...

Thought you guys would like this!!!!!

Time for me to get out of here and supervise my dummies so this doesn't happen to me in this storm...

And NO its not my mishap its some other unfortunate companie's.

DSC04208a.jpg

DSC04207a.jpg

2. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

I guess thats just a set in and go model :rolleyes:

3. scholzee

scholzee Senior Member

That must not be the truck it came out of ? looks like it has a tail gate on it ?

4. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

trying to save a couple bucks the company decided to use wal-mart bungee cords to tie down their spreaders. :)

5. CamLand

CamLand Senior Member

One of those lucky moments a car wasn't tailgating... :eek: :eek:

6. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

You sure Wily E. Coyote was'nt behind that with a cable?

7. golfmanres

golfmanres Senior Member

Yeah thats a 10' VDOT sander. It didnt come out of that little truck. He was there to clean up the mess on the street. Another reason to check and double check. I always check my straps everytime i get out of the truck. I have to carry a digital camera i have seen some great things people end up doing..

8. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

We chain our V-box down.

9. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

I can't imagine how that could have happened- that' not exactly a light load to slide out. My sander has a bar (i beam sort of) welded across the rear that locks into the tailgate latches at the bottom so even without chains the spreader isn't going to slide out. The only way to loose mine would be to raise the dump.....

I suspect that's what happened here- someone forgot to switch the PTO hoses from the dump lift to the sander or, that sander looks like it could be self contained (as mine is) so the drives thought he was engaging the pto for power (used to driving a different truck) and out goes the sander.

10. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

It is sort of a weird position to be in for just sliding out of the back. It does look like it got dumped. Must have been a very icey spot, and wanted to make sure he got the salt on it good.

11. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

I've got chains on all four corners and a bumper that attaches from by the hitch area on the truck to around the spinner.i think somebody did dump that spreader out of the bed.

12. GSORK

GSORK Senior Member

Hey Boss ,,,,,,,Auuuuuuugh

I would have loved to be a fly on the wall at the office.

13. MidAtlantic

MidAtlantic Member

I don't think that was the truck it came out of. As I was driving to check on a property I saw it just sitting there....Hell if my dually could handle it I would of loaded it up...J/K...I thought I would snag a shot on my way back and that was when I saw the other trucks there to clean it up.

Keep in mind this was in a 2-3" storm and it was too warm for it to be real icy..

Thought it would make a good posting on here.....

14. iowaegian

iowaegian Junior Member
    from 1

As for how it could happen.....I've been told that on some central hydraulic setups the vee box on/off lever is right next to the dump box up/down lever....This particular situation caused a municipality in Iowa to drill a hole thru the dump box control lever and padlock it down.