1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Loyal service means nothing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Scott's, Sep 25, 2009.

1. Scott's

Scott's Senior Member

I got a letter in the mail today from a client that I have had for a few years and have a great relationship with. Well when I get the letter I think its my contract I sent them last month only to open it to see a letter saying they have went with another person. I didnt even raise my price in the past 3 years. This is the 2nd client I have lost this week do to being under cut.

I guess im in the low ball business now, people dont care about anything but saving money. The sad thing is I felt my price was on the low end. Just pissing me off

2. badabing1512

badabing1512 Senior Member

Dude tell me about it this Sh!t is getting out of hand, guys passing flyers areound here for 175 and 200 for the season inc. tax. No bullshi!t either the flyers are right next to me. My driveways are average 300-325 for the season plus tax.

3. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Sad but true. These days it's about price not loyalty. Had this happen with a couple of smaller landscape accounts this spring. They were small but every little bit counts. You will get some other work to replace these, I believe for every bad thing that happens something good will happen.

Hang in there.

4. WIPensFan

We also have to remember that we're on here helping the new guys bid and chose equipment and so on. These are the guys we're losing bids to.

5. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

There is alot more of the unemployment sector joining our ranks in hopes of extra income, more so this year then last in my mind. Unemployment is worse then last year. According to my local paper this week, more then 46% of last years claimee's have exhausted there benefits and are no longer even accounted for in the national totals, yet the recorded unemployment has barley changed in the last 6 months (whats that mean..we have almost doubled the unemployment rate unofficially?). I hear guys talking about making money plowing this season for the first time at the local stores.....in a way it pisses me off, but what do we expect them to do.?.? I was talking to a dealer friend of mine just today about it, he said he has seen alot more "new to the industry customers" already this year. most of them charging there credit cards with big expectations. Scary stuff. All you can do is hope they do replace you with a newbie, by Christmas they'll be calling.

Good luck man!

6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Sometimes no loyalty is good. If everyone stayed with the same company you would never grow.

7. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

I used to have a stick up my azz about people not being loyal but I got over it once I realized that I was being hypocritical.

For instance, I've switched insurance companies several times because I was able to find a cheaper rate somewhere else. I truly switched for no reason other than the price was less. Was I being unloyal because of that? I don't think so.

I'm sure there are numerous other times that we've purchased items because we were more concerned about price rather than loyalty.

8. Scott's

Scott's Senior Member

Im 2nd guessing all my bids now. I cant afford to have my trucks sit while joe jerkoff and his brand new credit card plow. I have 50 contracts still out and cant get any answers over the phone so my salt order is still up in the air.

9. Scott's

Scott's Senior Member

Ya but the prices that most give are so out of line for my area that if someone would try to get them prices that wouldnt get any work. Last year I lost a job to a new guy that didnt have a clue had a brand new truck brand new plow and didnt know how to plow to save his ass couldnt even stack .Well he drives up to me one day and asked me if I needed any subs, I said im not going to train you to take more of my accounts .

10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I don't think we have to worry about this year's class. They don't listen to what we say anyhow.

11. WIPensFan

I always wanted to visit "Rock-me-Hardplace" to see the scenery and eat some lobster, but now I'm not so sure.

2COR - do you ever go on vacation, maybe I can plan around that! :D

12. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

You've never been between a rock and a hard place? I just left denial, hopefully headed to euphoria. I have a friend there now, he has to leave first.

Vacation, what's that? Besides, if you come up while I'm gone, who will give you directions? Everyone else is a (make up your own) LOL

13. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

I am to the point where I realy don't care if I get it or not. I just keep on bidding. I know I will bring in something and I move on.

I found out last year that people don't want to pay for a good service. They want the cheapest possible price they can get. Then they get to complain about the service they pay for.

J.

14. RepoMan207

from Maine

Yeah but that just the american way with everything! :D

15. RepoMan207

from Maine

Yeah but that just the american way with everything! :D

Hell, I don't think I would be happy if I couldn't rant and rave about something.

16. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

Its just the truth.

They complain when it costs to much, but the work is good. Then complain when the service sucks, then the price they pay for it, and its the low bidder they are then complaining about.

Or my personal favorite. Turn in a bid to plow a lot on a per plow basis (How I bid everything I do)
    Then a guy comes in with an hourly bid. Which looks cheeper on paper. They go with him. Then it snows, they get the bill and find out it was twice what they thought it was going to be (because it actually snowed, and he was there taking his time because they agreed to an hourly contract). Customer complains. Then the following year (After they have forgotten the previous winter) Hire the same contractor again and start the whole cycle over again.

Its just to bad that most of these business we want to work for don't expect anything better than what they are getting. There are just to many guys that have no business plowing out there. This whole "I have a truck and I am a Man, I am going to put a plow on my truck and make a killing" mentality is killing it for the rest of us.

J.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2009
  17. Ne1

Ne1 Senior Member

Its happening everywhere. No one person or large company is immune

18. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

you guys price by the season?

But yeah i dont think it means much, even in the commercial sector. We had a A+ 100% rep with a storage company. They have two locations, a buddy of mine got one and i know what he bid, "cheaper than us", so i bid the same amount for the larger place, didnt get the landscape maint lol.

It really doesnt matter, price point only and thats gonna get worse as the economy continues to slump. I remember these kind of things next time around though when they ask for a quote, ill keep my clients at the same and these are issued out higher..

19. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Blame our President for alot of the price shopping.
    The economy sucks and people are trying tosave a buck wherever and however. JMO

20. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

I am not going to blame anybody. I will just keep on bidding