1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by gilcontr, Apr 3, 2002.

1. gilcontr

gilcontr Junior Member

my 1958 pick-up has a 1970-75 chassis (i'm not really sure. thats just one of my problems) The problem is that ever since i put in new coil springs in the A-arms, the truck aquired a 4 inch lift. I have been thinking of cutting a section of these coil springs to lower the front end. does anyone know if cutting the coils is the right way to go?
  2. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

IMO, if you're serious about lowering this truck I would invest in a set of drop spindles - which should be readily available for 73 - 87 GM trucks, especially the 5-lug (1/2 ton) version.

On a side note, if the new coils raised the front end that much perhaps they were intended for a 3/4-ton truck? They are available in different ratings for the various GVW models, and the majority of the parts in the front end are the same in 1/2 and 3/4 ton trucks - at least for GM's of that era.
  3. plowjockey

plowjockey PlowSite.com Sponsor

Rob is right. You never want to cut springs to achieve the drop.
    If you use a torch you will lose the temper in the spring and weaken it. Also on another note many springs are designed to accumulate their force via a variable rate which is why the coils are not all even. Cutting the spring can tend to defeat this purpose.

4. blzn74

blzn74 Member

IMO, with a truck like that, I would put air spring suspension on it, it takes the place of the coils , it the latest craze because it makes your suspension ride like a cadilac, plus its adjustable, you could raise or lower it . The cost is pretty much the same as spindles. Check these guys out if your interested.
  5. blzn74

blzn74 Member

6. gilcontr

gilcontr Junior Member

this might seem like a stupid question, but if i were to put the air suspension on the truck, would i still be able to carry a load on the truck?

thank you for the information
  7. blzn74

blzn74 Member

Of coarse you will still be able to carry a load, each air spring is rated at 2600 ibs , 1 would be able to tow a load by itself, and you put 4 on each corner, you'll be happening. My 95 1/2 has bags and it was the best decision Ive ever made.