1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

lowering issues

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Dave3121, Nov 24, 2010.

1. Dave3121

Dave3121 Junior Member

Anyone who can help would be appreciated. I decided to change the hydro fluid myself this year to save a few bucks and I ran into an issue. Everything went ok as far as changing the fluid, plow raises and angles fine. It wont go down now. Not even a hint at lowering. It looks like the main issue is the flow control valve but I never touched it. Could it be too tight to prevent lowering even tho it wasn't touched ?

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Were you under the pump cover while doing the fluid change? Sounds like you knocked the orange wire off the lower coil.

3. Dave3121

Dave3121 Junior Member

I checked the orange wire and re-checked all wires. Everything looks good and tight. Any other suggestions ?

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Carefully check the lower coil for magnetism with the controller in float, watch your feet. Does it have magnetism?

There's no reason at this point to suspect an issue with the flow control valve if you didn't disturb it.

5. Dave3121

Dave3121 Junior Member

yes, the lower coil has magnetism.

6. Dave3121

Dave3121 Junior Member

The only thing that is a little concern to me and may be completely unrelated is one of the 2 screws on the joystick is missing and the joystick is kind of wobbly. I plan on getting the screw once i figure out what kind or size i need. It was out at the end of last year and I continued to use plow with no problems.

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Run a fused jumper wire directly to the lower coil from the battery to see if it lowers. Keep your extremities well clear of the blade while doing so of course.

You can try backing the FCV out some but unless there's debris in it (possibly dislodged from your service work) it shouldn't have any bearing on this issue. But feel free to give it a go.

8. Dave3121

Dave3121 Junior Member

I will give it a shot in the morning. running out of time and light tonight. My other concern is assuming I cant get it looked at until friday, is there too much stress being put on the cylinder being up for at least 3 days ?

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It's fine, won't hurt the plow in any way.

10. Dave3121

Dave3121 Junior Member

Thanks for your help B&B. One last question. I didn't exactly change the fluid the way its seems to be laid out everywhere in print. I simply detached the hose to lift cylinder first, pulled the plug, put plug back in. Took of hoses to angle cylinders, jacked up both ends to push oil out each way and shop vac up the hoses. Then re-connected the hoses and filled with just over 2 quarts. Could the re-assembly in the incorrect order have caused this ? If so, can i just dis-connect the hose to lift cylinder again then re-connect it and magic ? Thanks again and have a great holiday.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2010
  11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Nothing in your description would have directly created this issue Dave, even if you skipped a step or two or performed them in a different order it wouldn't cause it not to lower. Have to be a piece of debris stuck in the FCV or lower valve, or not enough mag from the coil to open it due to a weak connection or something electrical. Which was why I asked if you were behind the pump cover and possible bumped a wire on the coil.

So do those checks on Fri and see where you are....and Happy T-Giving to you. :nod: