1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

lowering front end of truck

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Green Boys Lawn, Dec 22, 2008.

1. Green Boys Lawn

Green Boys Lawn Junior Member

I'm having trouble with my plow coming off the ground and leaving snow behind on certain terrain (like going over the crown of the road). I've ordered a new cutting edge because mines worn down a little. I'm wondering if additionally I can lower the front end of my truck to get the plow closer to the ground. I have a 2006 Chevy 2500HD. Can anyone tell me how to do this. I thought I remember the guys who installed the plow saying that they raised the front end to account for the weight of the plow. I appreciate any help. Thanks

2. Jon Schuler

Jon Schuler Member

I wouldnt do that, Chevys are ussually low to begin with. It might be solved by a new edge. Also depending on what type of plow you have, try adjusting the chain.

3. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

skip marks

what kind of plow ,sound's like there is not enough float in the plow to drop enough ,i know some boss plow's on certain truck will not float enough .i know one guy that cut the upper lift cylinder mount tube off of the frame work and lowered it in the frame work now it work's for him .it had plenty of lift for his 93 ram truck .8'2" vee with boss wing's .:salute:

4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Are you even running the plow in "float" mode to begin with?

5. Green Boys Lawn

Green Boys Lawn Junior Member

It's a Hiniker 8' straight plow purchased in 2006. No chain. I thought it went into float mode anytime I dropped it, but I can check into that. Has anyone used a wider cutting edge? Central Parts Warehouse can get an 8" cutting edge (8 week delivery, though). My standard cutting edge is 6".