1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lowering a sno-way plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by gasjr4wd, Nov 1, 2015.

1. gasjr4wd

gasjr4wd Senior Member

Is there some secret to lowering a sub frame a few inches?
    By the book it says the bottom hook should be 8-10" above the ground. Mine is over 11" and think that is what made mine fold over so much last year. (when I had the plow installed the truck still had very tired springs. Just about rode on the bump stops. I replace them so it raised the truck a little.)
    Anything other than adding to the side plates that should be done? I'm thinking 1.5 to 2" should be good. I was thinking also adding a outside place to sandwich things.
    Just gotta find a decent welder/fab guy in Delaware...
  2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Looks like you shim it.

Your going to have to give your a dealer a call.
    I couldn't imagine stacking up washers and longer bolts

3. gasjr4wd

gasjr4wd Senior Member

I have 8-10" in 97101109N.pdf
    I didn't measure it before but would like to shoot for 9".
    Dealer said I am SOL and they don't modify anything... no cutting or welding... they don't want to deal with the liability. I'm thinking just extend the side plates then lowing the center section with two more bolt holes, add a outside plate and bolt (sandwich) the crap out of it. Dealer said it would have to be all reengineered with new arms that extend back... IF they would do it at all. But then thinking back, when I picked it up the first time I wasn't thrilled with their work. They left holes in the firewall and had bolts rubbing on the intercooler, etc. and had to ask them to fix the stuff. The guy acted like I was bothering him.
    The old dealer that did my old 22 did a great custom job mounting it on another rig... with all the body lift, spring lift, taller tires, etc they just welded longer "hangers" on the front. It's worked great for 20 years. But that was the old style mount system.
    Am I nuts in thinking it shouldn't be that hard to lower it 1.5"-2"?