1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lowered plow mount.

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by pooleo8, Aug 15, 2011.

1. pooleo8

pooleo8 Senior Member

When I first fabbed up my plow mount I had some 205's on it. Now I have 245's and a 2" leveling kit wich thru the angle way off. Wasnt to bad of a problem but I could not turn the blade as the inside would lift 5" off the ground. My hopes were that lowering the mount I will be able to use the plow fully no and cut a **** load of time off plowing.

Last winter, notice the angle.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. pooleo8

pooleo8 Senior Member

3. pooleo8

pooleo8 Senior Member

4. pooleo8

pooleo8 Senior Member

Now I have my adjustment back, I need to raise the plow. Also my shoes are down so the plow is up 2". I have some more welding to do for a little more strength. Be easy on my welding, this is my 2nd time with a stick. Im a mig guy. :eek:

5. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

wow man, you need to do a little more prep and add some triangulation rearward on the frame. it looks like on a real hit it will just break, rotate under the truck and jack you about two feet off the ground.

It looks like you need a new cutting edge and that will probably fix some of your angle problems by raising the front of the blade.

6. pooleo8

pooleo8 Senior Member

Yes, I will be adding some more to it. Prior to this it was high in the frame and tucked up in real nice. Now that its lower it will need some more. I just wanted to get the angle right. Cutting edge was not the problem with the turn, it was the steep angle as it was not rotating on the right axis. Here is a pic from the side. Got the adjustments made for the height.

[​IMG]

7. pooleo8

pooleo8 Senior Member

added some more support to the plow frame. There was a real nice heavy duty bracket that went to the plow frame, probably for the s-10. I used the end of the bracket, this was it will bolt right into place. I used some 1/4" thick 1x1 square tubing and a piece of 3/16" plate. I removed the anti sway bar and used those bolt locations to anchor the other end. Here are some pics.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. pooleo8

pooleo8 Senior Member

9. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Wow that is some scary fabrication work right there. Your welds are too cold and have a serious lack of penetration. I could take a couple of whacks with a 5 lb hammer and break that free. Go ahead flame away but you are a danger to yourself and others.
    T.J.

10. pooleo8

pooleo8 Senior Member

Those welds wont break. And im not out ram roding my truck thru snow. Its for personal use and a few houses around the block. The welds are strong, I beat the **** out of them with my 3lb to make sure that were not going anywhere. thanks for your concern tho

11. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Ok good luck with that. It just blows my mind when someone buys a welder and can spatter a couple of pieces of metal together and think they are a weldor, and even worse they put it on the road. You sir need more practice behind the helmet before attempting to put anything that travels on public roads. This will be my last post here cause I do not want to get off topic or unwanted attention to it. Good luck.
    T.J.

12. pooleo8

pooleo8 Senior Member

listen. The plow frame is bolted to the frame of the truck with 3/4" grade 8 bolts. Im not some ******* yuppie. I have been mig welding since im 9 years old. This stick welder is my buddys, I did not buy it. I did not throw a couple spatters on two pieces of metal. The welds will hold. The plow is not going to "fall" off the truck. This plow has been on the truck for two years. So please dont bash on me like I dont know what the hell I am doing. I may not be a seasoned arc welder, but I have a decent background in welding in general and understand the basic concepts of welding with an arc welder. Im still amazed that you can tell what the welds are or are not by a not so clear picture that shows no detail. You sir need to chill the **** out and relax! This is just a little support since the frame is down further than what it was. But as I said, the frame of the plow is BOLTED to the truck. I built mounts using my MIG welder that are bolted to the truck frame and the plow frame is bolted to that. It is also welded for added strength.

13. bigblockford79

bigblockford79 Junior Member

Judging by the quality of your welds and the complete LACK of prep work, you must be around 10-12 years old now.

Seriously? You welded into a completely rust covered frame, and then just blobbed the **** out of it. Arc welding is a bit more of and "art" form than mig and takes a little more practice so I will give a little leeway for that, BUT prep work is pretty much the same for all types of welding.

14. pooleo8

pooleo8 Senior Member

from what I was told, the rod could penatrate thru the rust and debri. I know its no professional job, far from it. But the welds are good. The penatration is good. Everything is solid. As I said, everything is also bolted. The entire weight of the plow is not being held by just a few crappy looking welds. I also ground out all the verticle and support bar welds and hit them again with a 3/32 rod and it came out much better. Damn people, I never claim to be a profesional arc welder. The only thing different from then to now, is the frame is lowerd 6". I have been plowing for 2 years with the way it was before, still being bolted and still having ****** looking welds on it.

15. pooleo8

pooleo8 Senior Member

and damn, it not like its rusty metal from the titanic! its just a little surface rust, a wire brush took most of it off!

16. randomb0b123

randomb0b123 PlowSite.com Addict
    from america

i find it very humurous how he removed all the pics of the "welds"

17. pooleo8

pooleo8 Senior Member

meh, I was making new folders in my photobucket account. They must not show up when they are moved. Pics to be reposted. I am not ashamed of anything I have done. :p

18. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Ok well I said the above post was my last one but I cannot help it. Mr BigblockFord had a good post and prompted it.LOL
    I never boast or brag about how long I have been welding because every time I get behind the helmet I always try to improve my technique or process and machine settings (esp. with TIG). Plus, there is always someone better at it than I. Again, I am not a pro welder or certified either; I work in the Corporate World now. I used to work for a race car builder (owner=no clue) though. When someone criticizes my welds or process I take it as a learning lesson and add it to the chapter. However, it would need to come from a good resource. When I do receive criticism, I don’t get negative and reply with snappy defensive comments either. If you post pics on a forum you are going to get comments, no matter what. I hang out on other welding forums and there are some serious pros there, as well as some serious clowns. Also, welding and fabricating experience speaks for itself (i.e.,pics) in fabricating projects performed for yourself (as a hobby) and or returning “customers”. So Mr. Pooleo, next time don’t get your panties in a bunch and get so defensive and take it as a lesson for improvement. If you post projects here you are going to get advice/comments/criticized from others and when they see something wrong they are going to tell you.