1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lower VS Float

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by grinch1989, Nov 14, 2008.

1. grinch1989

grinch1989 Member
    from CT

I can't figure out or notice the difference between the lower and float position on my 720LT. I follow the procedure to activate it and notice no difference. Someone explain this to me. Thanks! :salute:

Here is what the manual says:

NOTE: The FLOAT function is activated when the
    joystick is pushed ahead (or up) into the "LOWER"
    position or the D button is pressed on the
    touchpad and held there for an additional .5 sec
    after the blade contacts the ground. The LED float
    light (touchpad only) will come ON when the
    snowplow is in FLOAT mode.

Lowered or Float Position
    Pushing the joystick forward, toward the
    "Lower/Float" designation on the label, or pushing
    the D button on the touchpad will lower your
    straight blade to the ground. Pushing and
    momentarily holding the control in this position will
    allow the snowplow to "float," or follow the contour
    of the ground when moving forward or backward.

2. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Just what your manual says is correct. In float the plow will drop with the grade....

3. grinch1989

grinch1989 Member
    from CT

If not it will "lock" the pick up cylinder? I doesn't seem to work like that...always seems to follow grade...

4. lilweeds

In float the cylinder is not "locked" , otherwise yes it technically is, it will go up and back down to the place you stopped lowering it, but it won't drop further than that point,

5. grinch1989

grinch1989 Member
    from CT

Ah, than there must be a problem with mine. I just tap the stick down and she drops to the ground. From what you guys are telling me, it should stop unless I hold it for .5 seconds?

6. lilweeds

you got it. There should be a red light that comes on when it's in float too.

7. grinch1989

grinch1989 Member
    from CT

There is no light on my joystick, just on the touchpad. Any idea how to start troubleshooting this? I had the plow installed a year ago and it always functioned like this...

8. grinch1989

grinch1989 Member
    from CT

Anyone????

9. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

I am not oververly familiar with boss plows, but I would look in your manual at how to adjust the drop speed, and slow it down a little. It sounds like it is dropping so fast that you cant stop it in mid fall..... Try tapping the down real quick and see if it drops without hitting the ground....

10. Yobrow

Yobrow Junior Member
    from Maine

I just bought an 800HD this year and I'm pretty sure it does the same thing, I'll have to check again when I put it back on my truck. But when I was playing with it, the only way I could stop it during the fall was to "blip" up on the joystick quickly. Even when I did that it was pretty much on the ground already because the plow drops so fast. I wasn't concerned with it because I can't see myself needing to stop it in mid-fall very often, but I'm new to plowing this year so maybe it will be an issue... guess I'll find out!

11. grinch1989

grinch1989 Member
    from CT

Thanks for the reply. The only way I can stop mine is to blip UP also. It is not a huge deal to me either, but I wanted to understand lower vs float. There is an adjustment to slow the lower speed, you should slow it down. Mine was way too fast from the factory also.

12. lilweeds

.5 sec is not alot of time guys. You have to "blip" it down so it doesn't go into float.

13. 4evergreenlawns

4evergreenlawns Senior Member

Start by adjusting the drop speed to something slowing then SLAM. Next all joystick controllers have a red LED just above the down arrow.

Now the auto down is different from FLOAT. If you hold the stick foward/down from .5 and release it will go down automaticly and stop on the ground in float with red light on. (AGAIN YOU HAVE TO HAVE THE DROP SPEED ADJUST SLOW ENOUGH SO IT JUST DOES NOT SLAM DOWN) If you lower the plow to the ground and then hold it for .5 it will activate the float light.

If Float is not working you need the to check the float coil and check for overheating of the plastic to have bubbled. Replaceing the float coil is easy just be carefull not to remove the valve at the same time.

Hope this helps.

Best Ron G.

14. grinch1989

grinch1989 Member
    from CT

Ron, this does help, however I don't have a light on my joystick control. I think only the handhelds have the light. I will start by slowing the drop speed and see what I find. Thanks!

15. Yobrow

Yobrow Junior Member
    from Maine

I put the plow back on my truck and played around with it to try to get it to lower but not float. No dice. The plow goes right into float anytime I move the joystick into the lower position. Even if I just blip it - tried several times and I know it was for less than .5 seconds. There is no red light on the joystick, only on the push button controller. I'm thinking that the joystick doesn't give the option to lower unless you blip up in mid fall - which I was able to do easily enough. The way the instructions are written seems to confirm this, although its a bit ambiguous. As I mentioned previously though, I don't see it being much of an issue for me while plowing. I just need to make absolutely sure that the controller is OFF while I'm driving down the road because an accidental bump will lower the plow all the way which wouldn't be so good.

16. 4evergreenlawns

4evergreenlawns Senior Member

Now I know owning 8 blizzard plows and 7 of them with Joy stick controller doe snot make me an expert BUT, THEY ALL HAVE A RED LED above the Joystick AND it comes on when it is in float mode.

If you plow if dropping you have an issue other then just the float light. It might be a S8 coil, it might be the drop speed adjsutment (did you try to adjust that) or it could be a valve sticking open. Whatever the issue it seems like you need to find a dealer that can trouble shoot your plow and get it in proper workign order.

Try HOLDING the joystick in the DOWN position after the plow had hit the gounrd to get the red light to come one.

Here is a picture. The little red dot just above the down arrow is the FLOAT LIGHT.

[​IMG]

17. Yobrow

Yobrow Junior Member
    from Maine

Thanks for the reply. If it weren't cold and 10:45 at night, I'd go out and take a picture of my joystick and post it, but here's the one posted on blizzard's site.

main_2_large.jpg

There is no LED. I also notice from your signature that all of the plows you have listed have wings. I have a straight blade which uses the simpler controller. I will call the dealer and ask, but I really just think the straight blade is a simpler beast. Could be yet another reason that so many people buy winged blizzard plows :)

main_2_large.jpg

18. kwazyace

kwazyace Junior Member
    from RI

I just completed a 720 install myself and have the exact same "float issue". Not a huge deal but I too would like to know if this plow is supposed to just drop with a tap. Wondering if you found an answer? I am going to try Blizzard directly.

19. beam

beam Senior Member
    from pa

the float issue is possible the controler in bad or truck side harness if it raises and lowers with barely touching it than there is a problem.. if it lowers tooo slow when touched than adjust the drop speed.........

20. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

On the straight blade models with the box joystick pictured by Yobrow there is NO delay on drop for the blade. THEY GO DIRECTLY to float like a Western or Fisher joystick unit.

DROP SPEED adjustment is the only way to slow the drop of the plow. The Dealer should have adjusted this with you when you got your plow and showed you how to tailor it to your needs.

On that unit LOWER and FLOAT are part of the same operation. The plow LOWERS all the way and goes directly into FLOAT

On the 810 and other power plows there is a relay and timer that causes the delay.

The red light is an indicator that the plow is now in the FLOAT mode and will follow the contour of the ground.

J

P.S. Ron you are correct on the power plows they do all have a light.

P.P.S. the TOUCH PADS have a delay built into them for both the straight blades and the power plows.

P.P.P.S. a delay relay and timer can be added to the straight blades but it's wired past the joystick and is not a FACTORY option it's something we developed for customers with the same concern that you had.