1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lower volts when plowing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Weenuk, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Weenuk

Weenuk Senior Member

Quick question concerning the volts being drawn while plowing. My dashboard gauge goes all the way down to 9 (lowest, high is 17) while raising/lowering. The battery is new and so is the alternator. Both were tested today and tested like new. How can I eliminate this problem? Would running a 2nd battery, higher volt alternator, larger gel battery or a cap between the battery and electronics of plow?? Any suggestions would be great...

2. jklawn&Plow

jklawn&Plow Senior Member

Voltage drops due to Amperage draw. As amperage draw goes up more voltage drop in the wires, the connectors/connections and in the motor (is higher than at lower amp draws) . If the motor brushes are worn down that powder can create voltage shorts to ground (they have some reistance) and as the current shorted increases the amperage goes up which reads as a lower voltage at the voltmeter sensor in the truck.
    So use tight connections, large surface area connectors, Large surface area wires, and short wires, and make sure the motor is cleaned out every 2 years or less.
  3. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

Big 3 upgrade needed
  4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Raise your plow when heading into the pile and when you leave the pile .That little extra rpms will help. And quit plowing with the plow so much ,angle when your moving.
  5. Weenuk

Weenuk Senior Member

grandview, thanx for the advice but I am already doing all of the above mentioned. Maybe If I turn my music down and unplug my balls massager....
  6. bln

bln Senior Member

I have a diesel, 6.0 leaker. (Save the comments.) I have to plow with no heat, radio, or lights. It sux.
  7. Weenuk

Weenuk Senior Member

I drove a 79 Trans Am like that one winter. It does suck.
  8. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Newness of the battery is not important. Battery physical size and electrical rating is what matters. Get the largest group size for that truck. A smaller battery struggles to meet high demands the way a small generator does.

I noticed you said higher voltage generator. Term is higher amperage. So replace generator with one that has a higher amp output rating.

Last and everyone over looks this. Wires being undersized also causes voltage to drop.
    So replace battery neg and pos cables and the power feed cables for the plow with heavier gauge wire.
  9. Weenuk

Weenuk Senior Member

Thanx for the the helpful advice.
  10. forbidden

forbidden Senior Member

11. Moonlighter

Moonlighter Senior Member

X2 on this one I did it on my Ram with a western helped a bunch.
  12. Weenuk

Weenuk Senior Member

The Big 3 swap was complete with the installation of my stereo last year. The truck never did this last winter, Using everything the same as last winter. Only electronic device added since last winter was my dump trailer that has a battery that draws off the truck battery.
  13. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Either your fluid is gelled and the plow is working extra hard to spin the pump or you have a dirty motor. Replace it or disassemble and clean. When you are finished coat the puppy good with Fluid film to seal it against the elements. Repeat FF application as needed.
  14. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Dam it! Again.

Quit playing with the plow so much,angle when moving.