1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lower mount CJ

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by fine79, Jan 6, 2009.

1. fine79

fine79 Junior Member
    from Kansas

I just got an old heavy Western 6'-6" setup, and am fabbing the mounts for my 79 CJ7. I've looked at a lot of examples where the lower is tied to the lift point, and braced in the rear. This would be affected by lift and suspension travel.

Then, I looked at the Western website, to see what was OEM. Their lower mount point is more like a swing arm that pivots way back on the frame, and hangs off the leaf springs in front ...look at it here

This design looks like it would keep the push point low, no matter what the suspension is doing. Also, it would reduce the amount of sprung weight.

I think that's the way I'm going to go... Does anyone have this setup?

I'm also looking for air shocks for the front.. anyone know the Monroe P/N?

Thanks!...Great site!
  2. magik235

magik235 Senior Member

I supported mine with angle braces back from the plow mount.

1971 CJ5 with a 225CID odd-fire V6, HEI ignition, Heddman headers, 390 Holley 4 barrell, FlowKooler high capacity waterpump, 100 amp Proform alternator, Optima battery, T14 3 speed transmission, Dana 18 transfer case, Dana 44 rear axle and a Dana 27 in front. More pictures can be seen at http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2608975/1
  3. 04sd

04sd Senior Member
    from pa

Had a '59 CJ5 many years ago with a Western setup like in your link. I'm sure that jeep and many others like it plowed a lot of snow. The Meyer setup for old jeeps pushes from behind the axle also but hangs from the frame in the front. I had one of these also and never any problems. Check these for ideas...

IMHO, the better mounts push from behind the axle on old jeeps.
  4. fine79

fine79 Junior Member
    from Kansas

Thanks for the ideas 04...

The reason that I'm leaning toward the 'swing arm' style is I need new springs, and I don't know what my final height will be. I just need to get it working for now. With this style, I should be able to lift it later without having to re-do the lower mount.

It does look like it would act like a very rigid anti-sway bar, and might cause handling or traction problems.

I guess I figured there were more people out there running this style of mount who could give some feedback... Maybe I should have posted this in the Western forum.

5. 04sd

04sd Senior Member
    from pa

I'm guessing you won't get much response there either. This is old iron, Western probably hasn't made a mount like that since the 70's, maybe even 60's. I have to laugh when I hear guys say "my plow is really old, I bought it new in '99". To me '99 would be a new plow.
  6. '76cj5

'76cj5 Member

Minimal sway bar effects if the trailing arms are longer than the spring. Probably act more like a traction bar than a sway bar.

I have a simular setup on my CJ and don't have any real problems with it. Only one time when I fooleshly used it as a tow point and bent up one side.
  7. cj5fun

cj5fun Junior Member

I have a 6.6 western with the setup your looking at it has done me well for 12 years. I don't tighten my spring hangers tight, let them move a bit it doesn't hurt a thing.
  8. fine79

fine79 Junior Member
    from Kansas

Thanks 76 and CJ5 !

That's what I was wanting to hear... I just finished the hoop and am ready to crawl underneath:D

CJ5Fun, could you snap a pic and post it?

Think I broke my welder:realmad: