1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lowballers.............

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by forestfireguy, Sep 1, 2010.

1. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

There's a guy advertising on Craigslist in North Jersey. He runs an ad under commercial snow removal and offers to beat anyones price by 10%.......People are unreal......Hope he signs a bunch of no cap all inclusives and we have another rockin winter!!!!!!!

2. Pushin 2 Please

Pushin 2 Please PlowSite Veteran

x2.....I really hope that those guys screw themselves!:gunsfiring:

3. motodad

motodad Member
    from midwest

I have seen this for over 18 years and when they loose their azz then another lowballer will step up and take their place, it will never end.

4. Pushin 2 Please

Lost a account last year to a lowballer and after the second storm they called me back and are with me again this year! 30 years of service and they jumped ship over a couple bucks? Didn't take long before they were back!:nod:

5. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

I hope ya raised their price!

6. Pushin 2 Please

You know I did!:drinkup:payup

7. FLC2004

FLC2004 Senior Member

Nothing good comes from lowballin

8. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

That guy must cover a big area;) because he"s got his add up in R.I. also.:eek:

9. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

sorry i'll pull my ad off of craigslist.

10. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Redman-------

I knew it was you, had the same tractor pictured in his ad.........LOL

11. Theshoemaker

Theshoemaker Senior Member

I recently bid a 7 acre facility and had the gm show me a invoice from last year of 415.00 to plow per visit flat rate and 235$ PER SALT APPLICATION USING TREATED SALT. I'm still floored mostly because salt is 70-80 per ton for regular bulk UN-TREATED. So my calculations for the cost of the salt alone is 200-220. AND THAT INCLUDED APPRX 5K SQFT OF WALKS SALTED AND CLEARED. I worry sometimes..............

12. csi.northcoast

csi.northcoast Senior Member

i bet i know who the contractor was

13. m_falafel

m_falafel Member

In my city about 75% of snow removal contractors are lowballers with a ****** service. The other 25% ask more but they give an excellent service. The problem is, with current economical situation, (and also because most quebecer are cheap) people prefer to save 50 bucks per winter and be disapointed with service. I mean come on, are they intelligent enough to calculate how a 50$ difference is not a lot to be able to get out of the driveway to go to work instead of being stuck on the frozen snow wall that the city plow let in front of your driveway a few hours ago?!?!?

14. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

So i have my own run in with a local guy lowballing this year. A company where i am at is bidding out HOA and Condos, at $30/hour man labor, and $45/hour equipment hour, with no retainer fees etc. This is a very good price around here (my price is $35/hour man labor, $75/hour skidsteer with a one event worth of retainer) and more power to the guy if he wants to work for that. The problem is this guy is known to take on WAY more then he can handle, and to leave associations high and dry in the middle of bad storms (i have bailed out contracts this guy has had before), so i have had property managers, and property management companies phoning me about properties we have done in the past, and telling me about this pricing, which so far my response has been " remember what he did 2 years ago, when he left 4 condo complexes not done for 2 weeks" or "phone this person about this guy, he is known for taking too much on" i have also warned all said maintenance companies and managers that if we end up in a situation where i get a call to help them this year because they hire this guy, i am asking for a mulit year signed agreement before my equipment touches the ground or they can pay time and a half on my hourly rate. If i can't get loyalty through good service, i well manipulate it.

15. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I would have a hard time bailing out a company who knowingly hires a substandard contractor. Especially if I lost the contract that year. If I didn't need the money or the work it would be more satisfying to watch them struggle.

A few years ago I got asked to go salt a few locations because the contractor didn't show. These were places I had never bid on but I knew the guy that was doing them. He was new and went in cheap to get them. A week later I got called to go and do them again. I said no. Every time you have a problem I am not coming to make this guy look good.

I blame property managers for hiring people that can't perform the work.

16. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

agreed, in this case though, it isn't the property management company that is at fault, the condo boards are the ones that are going to cause this problem, but the management company is in the middle, they can recommend which company to use, but the condo board is the ones who ulitmately decide. It well be interesting to see what how this all plays out, because if the management company had its way it wouldn't allow this, and to that ends they are going to let all the condo boards that are making this decission exactly how they feel, and how the other contractors (including myself) are feeling about it too. I think if we have a bad winter, there is going to be some condo boards with egg on their face, and some large bills. I have already talked with many of the contractors and we are all of the opinion that this situation deserves a drastic response.

17. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

It's funny how all these condo guys think we all work for free.
    A multi year deal is the only way to go. I got a plaza last year for a 1 year deal and it looks like this year is going to be for another 1 year deal. As much as I hate 1 year contracts I price them a little higher to compensate for the hassle.

18. Lily

Lily Junior Member

Condo boards are brutal

Amen. In my experience, condo boards are brutal and can certainly throw a wrench into things! It does get rather sticky and puts too many hands in the pot and most of the time they have a cluster of people making decisions that just do not have business making informed decisions/don't really grasp maintenance and or fair market value. And they are infamous for constantly looking for lower and lower pricing, find out the service stinks, and then try and get a more reputable person to come in and save them or work for the same lowball prices they stive for. Throw a maintenance company in the mix or some sort of landlord and its just a giant mess of levels you have to deal with. We have come to just accept that nine times out of ten, no matter how much the person taking care of the bidding wants to have us do work, the board has a say and will take a crazy low bid. And then we get a call again and go through same thing! In our area most of the boards are little old ladies who live in them and do not know the first thing about snow removal or landscaping, all they know is they want it cheap and done perfect! Can I fault them, not really if someone isn't advising them (in which they may end up voting the same way anyway!). We have had much better luck with the ones overseen by local governments and way more reasonable to deal with.