1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

lowballers what to do.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by snowpusher 03, Dec 5, 2004.

1. snowpusher 03

snowpusher 03 Junior Member

no snow in montreal yet. last year there was a company doin driveways for 130;00 plus tax thats a four car driveway.the average is 250;00 275;00 plus tax.I had about 400 clients that year this year i lost about 75 of my good clients that i had for 5 to6 years .what should i do. I heard of some companies throwin chains in the driveways so the blower picks up the chians and block the blower

99 jd 6400
    99 jd 6300
    98 gmc 2500 hd

2. WELDER

WELDER Member

i never could understand the exchange rate.............. :drinkup:

3. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

Throwing chains in there driveways sounds like a good way to get someone hurt. Just stand by and they will weed themselves out. Plowing snow is fun but after loosing a little money they will go away.

4. snowpusher 03

i guess i'll have to wait and see next season thanx

5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

??? A company threw chains in their own driveways in order to cause damage to a snowblower? Why would they do that?

6. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

I think what he means is the high bidders that are pissed at the lowballers throw chains in the driveways that the lowballers are blowing in order to break the lowballers blower. I think the poor old lady crossing the street might get caught in the cross-fire. Can you imagine chain links coming out of a snowblower? What a stupid thing to do..

7. Mick

from Maine

I agree, that's pretty stupid. I'd say that's being on a lower mental level than the lowballer.

8. snowpusher 03

don't get me wrong i don't think it's a bright idea to do that .what would you guys do

99 jd 6400
    99 jd 6300
    98 gmc 2500 hd[/QUOTE]

9. jsydow

jsydow Junior Member

Same problem here

We got a lot of these fly by night low-ballers! It's unreal what they charge, I don't even pay my sub's as low as they charge. It's usually their equipment that you see broke down on the side of the road! I just tell people that they know what their service is worth! After a few snows in the middle of the week people will start to realize why they are so cheap. I have had people call me and ask if I will do their sidewalks because these low-ballers are to lazy to get out of the truck! I just tell people no, and they should reconsider because that is already figured into our hourly rate. The only thing we charge extra for is salt. These guys don't even have commercial insurance which is another thing you might want to think about!! I was really upset here a few weeks ago, and "THE BOSS" told me to keep my head up that they will hang themselves! Sure enough our only snow so far, and 2 of the accounts they took I got back because they didn't show up. They were working at their other job, and the other had broken equipment. The good Lord takes care of us all when we least expect it!

10. Mick

from Maine

Reassess my business strategy, including pricing, territory, etc. If I was unwilling to change anything and still losing to the competition, then I'd reassess continuing in the business.

Matter of fact, each of those is what I have done considering the local conditions which are much like your describing.

11. DJL

DJL Senior Member

You give an "average" number. Just curious, how did you calculate the "average" cost per driveway? I mean I know you total all the samples and divide by the number total # of samples. Therefore, one sample (say yours) could give you an "average" price and make it seem like the other individual is a...what do you call them..."lowballer".

With that said, how many samples did you have in order to derive the average? I'm hoping it was something like ten. And, out of those ten how many were creditable sources? Also, I'm hoping out of those samples all were equivalent. You know, comparing apples to apples, not apples to oranges. In other words, all had equal a) insurance coverages, b) quality of service, c) level of service, d) same travel time/distance to/from work location, e) etc.

My point, the "average" or "market value" is a bunch of crap. Perhaps the guy isn't insured and is only plowing half the lot. Hence, he can bid at half the cost.

"average" price...Never understood how anyone derived those "average" prices.

As far as chains on the sidewalk...they may be a "lowballer" but a company/person who causes harm to equipment, or worse off, people, are just a bunch of big freakin A$$H0LES! Beat your competition by being the better company not by playing childhood games in which someone can get seriously injured.

12. Edgewater

Edgewater Member

Where in Montreal are you,

we are in Pointe-Claire, but don't do much snow

Drop me a PM if you like,

Adam

13. snowpusher 03

i'm on the south shore I've been doin snow for about 11 years now started small . i don't want any more work also do some lawns.