1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lowballers Stink

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 76chevyman, Oct 24, 2003.

1. 76chevyman

76chevyman Member

Well i got a call today and they were asking about my contract. I said what dont u understand. They said the price. LOL They wanted me to plow, salt/sand clear walkways and salt/sand walkways for $45. I said well last year u paid $65 for everything and i thought that was cheap and this year do to my insurance increase i rased there price $5. I said well if u have someone that will do it all for $45 then go with him, But keep in mind im insured, i do quility work. and have good customer service. Last year was my first year plowing. Well after a 3 year break. Good why cant we keep uninsured people from plowing. Cant they get a fine for that?? Well i figure id let u know about another lowballer, i tell u i will stop by and plow in the front of the driveway a few times after he plows so he get complants for crappy jobs :nono:

2. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

no reason to sabatoge.....it could really hurt your rep if someone made you out. Besideds......he probably wont be around for long.....or he is a good guy and just FUBARed his bid and will be kicking himself in the rear when he relizes he is loseing $$$

3. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

Don't sweat it 76. Just wait till he blows a tranny or a water pump or needs a cutting edge and some trip springs. He wont have enough money in his account to cover his tail and your phone will start ringing. They will want you back after he isnt around next season.

Jay

4. Adams plowing

Adams plowing Senior Member

but when they call you dont forget to tack on a little more money to the bill. like an extra 5 or 10% for a late contract fee.

5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Don't feel bad, I just got back from something similar. Guy asked what I'd charge for doing his parking lot which would take about 20 minutes. I told him a price. He told me another guy who had been doing it charged the same, but that he did the lot and four other driveways this guy has for a total of about an hour and a half. I asked him if the guy had GL insurance etc. He said "No, that would only make you have to charge more - why would you need GL insurance anyway?" So I proceeded to discuss slips and falls etc. I got an "education" in how the plow guy isn't responsible for any accidents ("why would you be?") and how "this is Maine, slips and falls are expected..." , "any medical treatment would be covered by his insurance."

Needless to say, I won't be getting that job. I just wish I was smarter about insurance, then I wouldn't need so much.:rolleyes:

6. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

OK here is the deal with low ballers. Who cares about them, or the customers who use them. We got a call last season after the first 3 storms to bid a church lot, our price was 50% higher than the last guy per 3", so on a 12" storm that really adds up. Anyway the contract for 03-04 was just returned to use and the note attached said.
    "The professionalism displayed by your company is greatly appreciated, and it will be a pleasure working with you again."
    That is the type of customers that we all should look for, sometimes it takes awhile to find them, and we may have to go through alot of bad customers in the process.
    Dino

7. hyperpack

hyperpack Senior Member

Bad Attitude

You should be ashamed of yourself if you are serious about plowing someone in just because they did not hire you.
    Hyperpack

8. Pickering snow removal

Pickering snow removal Senior Member

plowking

Dino AMEN

9. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Good post Dino,you are so right.

10. Rooster

Rooster Member
    from Kansas

hmm.. Lowballers, don't sweat them, they know what they are worth.

Rick

11. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I don't worry at all about them. If they get a contract over me, then I'm not sure I would have wanted to deal with them.

I put in a bid this year it was an l shaped lot, one push straight, turn and back up, then again, I figured everything to be about lets say $50, I called them back last week, and they told me they were still decideing between two. I said ok, take your time, you have until Oct 31.
    He then proceded to ask me if I thought I was high (this is the minimum I will bid for anything, even if it is one push for 10 feet.) I told him about how hes paying for my service (that he recognized, since he's right next door to another one of my customers, and he called me...). I also explained that some of the lower cost options are going to charge less because they have less costs, like insurance, etc, and tend to be less reliable.
    He said he'd let me know by next week. If I don't get it, I'm not out anything.

I realize in this time of economic downtime, and the slow growth that we are now heading into, businesses are going to be looking to trim budgets at keep thier operating costs down as well. It's too bad they aren't more educated about snow removal, and how the real contractor works.

12. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Johnny D
    That is the lot I was plowing when we chatted from 1-2 am late last season. Having a bud to chat with makes the time go quick. You also need free off peak minutes and a hands free kit.
    Dino

13. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

LOL Dino,I remember that! I need a hands free kit for my new phone,but being its a Nextel,my calls get dropped every 5 minutes anyway:( .

14. ADLAWNCUTTERS

ADLAWNCUTTERS Senior Member

Hey don't be mad it's happen to all of us . the guy who low balled you did you a favor because now you know they are not the right customer for you. don't sweat it.

15. campi

campi Member

low ballers

dont worry about that low ballers lose out in the end i have been plowing for over 30 yrs!! its going to happen when it happens to me i wait till that low ball screws up and i get the call to take care of job!! then the price of plowing goes up big time good luck!! Campi!!!!

16. 76chevyman

76chevyman Member

Thanks for all your input guys and no im not going to plow in the customers driveway. I dont want to put a bad name out there on my company. Thanks again guys.