1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lowballers starting early

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Ipushsnow, Nov 2, 2008.

1. Ipushsnow

Ipushsnow Senior Member

So I am outside raking leaves and see this teenage kid going door to to door, thinking he is going to be an Obama campaign worker I am debating if I am going to be hard or easy on him. As he approaches though, he asks if I want my front sidewalk cleared of snow this winter. I ask how much and he says $5.00. Now, I live in a residential urban area and most lots are only 40 feet wide, so you are looking at 40 feet of 4 foot wide sidewalk. I asked how much for the driveway and he says he doesn't do driveways, just sidewalks. I think thats kinda strange, will do sidewalks but not the big money makers, driveways.

I ask him if he will be snow blowing or shoveling, he says he will be using an ATV with a plow. I ask him how many customers he has so far and he said over 100!!!! He said his parents let him start a few years ago and could just do the houses on his block, and has gradually expanded outward as he has gotten older and shown he is responsible.

And this kid is smart, he says $5.00 per push, he will plow with a 2" trigger, will wait til it stops snowing to plow, or whenever 8" accumulates, will bill every 2 weeks, if you don't pay in 2 weeks he will stop plowing until you pay up with a $10 late fee, and if he ever doesn't show up you get 2 weeks for free!

I am thinking "you little freaking genius bastar*", he is plowing about 8 blocks of sidewalk, probably takes him all of 15 minutes-if that, and he is making $500 per push!

So seeing that I hate coming home after 12 hours in the truck and having to do my sidewalks, I SIGNED UP!

Little genius bastar*!

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Couple of years and you will be asking him for a job!

3. Cassy

Cassy Senior Member

guessing mom and dad bought the ATV for him,
    he doesn't have insurance,
    and he's got no real overhead.

meh.

4. Ipushsnow

Ipushsnow Senior Member

Of course he has no insurance or overhead. Neither do the millions of kids that do snow, rake leaves, or cut grass for pocket money, THAT is the beautiful thing!! This kid just optimized efficiency by trading in the shovel and snow thrower for an ATV.

As for mom and dad buying the ATV, I would normally agree with you, but this kids was so sharp I would have no problem believing he started off shoveling, bought a snow blower then upgraded to the ATV.

I just might be his competition next year, I'll do them for $4.50! Kidding

5. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

So, is it legal to drive around on an atv in Milwaukee to do plowing? I looked into that a little bit in Mass before I could drive and it was a huge no no!!

6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

It's only illegal if you get caught.

7. ducatirider944

ducatirider944 Senior Member
    from Iowa

He is in WI and it is legal as long as you have a minimum of a 1/5th of whisky on you at all times! Yeehaa

8. red07gsxr

red07gsxr Senior Member
    from meriden

when it snows the cops dont care as long as your not causing trouble with them. i love going out in the snow with my quad. if your an a**hole then the cops will be 2.

9. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

In our town as long as you are doing snow removal it is fine to drive them on the streets. Guys even run their skids all over town doing snow.

10. ducatirider944

from Iowa

Guilty as charged!:D

11. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

yeah.
    and the kid doing the walks with the fourwheeler still makes twice what you do.
    :rolleyes:
    :D

12. Green Feet

Green Feet Member

Good for him. If you could remove snow via the internet or Xbox, he would have a lot of competition from other teenagers. My town does our sidewalks for us but do not charge for the sod removal they provide at the same time.

13. yard5864

yard5864 Senior Member

Actually here it is perfectly legal to run the atv. As long as there is a plow on the front and an orange Slow Moving Vehicle sign on the back. It would also be acceptable to run down the roads like this.

14. Exact Services

Exact Services Senior Member

Did you ask why he won't do driveways? I wonder if his parent understand that doing driveways legitimately would require insurance? Sidewalks depending on the area would be considered public right away.

How much extra do you veterans charge extra for sidewalks on small lots?

15. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

is's great that this kid has ambition.....i bet you he bought the 4 wheeler with his own $$$$.....he'll be a great republican capitalist someday!!!!

16. ducatirider944

from Iowa

Sorry to say this, but the republican party won't exist by the time he is old enough to vote.

17. ducatirider944

from Iowa

Yeah, and he probably knows that a ton of salt, and a ton of corn weigh the same as well!::eek::D

18. big acres

big acres Senior Member

It's not the cops you have to worry about. We plow alot of HOAs in the suburbs. Last year, one of our guys was back-dragging into the street for the truck to carry away. A speeding car came over the hill and slid into him. The driver made a cell call and a buddy showed up in a minute flat to take something (probably beer) out of his trunk.

We had the orange triangle, but the cops says the law states no unlicensed vehicles on public roadways... no matter what. I went a few rounds with the chief, who ultimately said that it is a gray area. Common sense says skids and loaders need to enter the roadway to perform snow removal, and they do not stop and cite you for it, but if something happens... you are at fault.

btw... skid was fine, car was not.

19. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

That's cool, thanks. Learn something new everyday. My buddy and I went with a snowblower instead and walked the neighborhood.

20. dunlaps lawncare

dunlaps lawncare Senior Member

5 bucks a driveway now thats lowballing it