1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lowballers laughing all the way to the bank

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Grn Mtn, Feb 3, 2006.

1. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

This year seemed to have a bumper crop of "plowers" willing to do it for less than dirt. And I'm afraid they made out like bandits. I was picking up a pizza the other day and my pizza guy said I must be loving this winter, I replied not really, I make most of my money per push commercial. He replied his buddy hasn't even been out once.:dizzy: I've gone 3-4 times and sent out a letter basically saying I'm still here.

Weatherman said last 3 weeks of February will be in the twenties with snow most days--we'll see.
  2. cornbinder

cornbinder Senior Member

if yer not makin money the low ballers surely are not!!! if anything all the jackasses that went out and bouhgt new $40,000 trucks and think they are gonna make millions are gonna be selling their rigs come spring!!! happens every year. pete
  3. qualitylawncare

qualitylawncare Senior Member

Kill them all...:gunsfiring:

This lowballing game is getting old
  4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I was noticing yesterday - almost whole column in the Want Ads of the local paper of 4x4s with plows for sale. Pretty cheap, too. Now would be the time to buy, if you're in the market.
  5. Chris-R

Chris-R Senior Member

I noticed the same thing as Mick. Also, I noticed a whole bunch of used car lots with snowplow trucks galore! I should have waited to buy a new truck until now but who knew it would be such a warm winter (so far)?
  6. PORTER 05

PORTER 05 Senior Member

lol, ya a kid down the RD from me bought a brand new 06 gmc 3500 1 ton dump with the duramax, fisher x-blade , has 1 account lol, only 1 resdiential account and has only been out once, if you can even count "being out" for 1 place??. wat an idoit im sorr,y but wow! paid about $50,000 +
  7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Is that called "optimism"?
  8. Chris-R

Chris-R Senior Member

Why in the world would someone spend $ 50,000 when they only have one account? I've seen the same thing and I shake my head. Shiny new trucks with shiny new plows and the guy has one or two driveways to plow and figures that people on every street will be flagging him down to plow their driveways once it snows. I think some people become a little overzealous.
  9. bcf

bcf Senior Member

Yeah, you can probably get some good equipment for cheap right now. Instead of playing pediddle, you could play plow truck for sale around here.:eek:
  10. BRAAAP

BRAAAP Senior Member

Saw truck going down the road the other day with a brand new boss plow one it, and it was all lettered up with mail box letters. LOL Got a good smile out of it. can always tell the lowballers
    :gunsfiring: lowballers
  11. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Yeah but usually lowballers wouldn't have a new plow... unless it was stolen.

Probably just cheap! :D
  12. qualitylawncare

qualitylawncare Senior Member

Welcome to Plowsite Braaap!

Looks like you're just up the road from me alittle bit:waving:
  13. jacob land and

jacob land and Member

i might be considered a lowballer, but i live in a small town with one big lawn care company that has a monopoly on everyone. hes out there everytime we get a dusting of snow plowing church parking lots and doing old ladys driveways. and in the summer he is mowing lawns for 65 dollars that i can do for half that and still make out like a bandit. i dont agree with trying to beat quotes and doing it for an unrealistic price but over charging is a different story.
  14. StuveCorp

StuveCorp Senior Member

I never understand why people are happy with half the going rate? To keep your business and grow you need as much money as you can get, remember we are a SERVICE industry. Alot of times the guy that is charging premium is earning it.
  15. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

Did you ever think that this guy is successful because he charges the right money? Of course you can do it cheaper but why would you want to? Obviously if he has a monopoly people are sticking with him so all the more power to him. You cannot grow unless you are getting more money for your service than your expenses.
  16. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

you're 17, you live at home, your parents pay for your food, your rent, insurance, cable, phone, internet, computer, etc.

when you live on your own you will realize you were undercharging and in fact he was making a living.
  17. Remsen1

Remsen1 Senior Member

Yah, Like Stuve said, why would you do it for half? Like slicing your own throat? How big are these yards. Aren't we in business to make a profit? Seems like some are in business to help people save money. Not me, I'm in it to make money. I bet the big guy with the "Monopoly" likes having you around to keep the tightwads off his back and off his clock so all he has to worry about are the creme of the crop. So for every $500 you make he make $1000. If you're making $200 profit, then theorectically he could be making $800 profit.

At least you get some milk and cookies when your done.
  18. NJBuickRacer

NJBuickRacer Member

I'd rather do sub work for the going rate than undercut everyone just trying to make a living. I might make less cash but I can sleep at night and don't make enemies.
  19. jacob land and

jacob land and Member

the guy running my small town has no buisness ethics. he has been taken to court more than once for making up hours on lawn service. and for charging for salts that never happened on parking lots. he has a bad reputation and is still making money. im only 17 and i know thats wrong
  20. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

He's still making money! Therefore the reputation can't be that bad, if it's really a small town everyone would know and would not give him the business!
    Just my .02 worth!