1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Low volts... WTF??

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by musclecarboy, Dec 6, 2010.

1. musclecarboy

musclecarboy 2000 Club Member

I recently changed my alternator to a brand new Hitachi one and a pair of new batteries to Exide Sub-Zero and the volt guage in the truck hangs out around 10-12, dropped into the red when plowing last night..... With the stock Delphi alternator and Interstate batteries it was ALWAYS above 14.

What the heck is wrong?? Bad alternator (doubt it because it will charge back up).... Bad batteries??

Please advise!:drinkup:

2. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

10-12 volts indicate a no charge issue. Check for broken or loose wires. Check the charging voltage off the back of the alternator. It wouldnt be the first to quit after little use.

3. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Did you get those Exide bat's at wally world?

What size alternator?

Good grounds at engine and body?

4. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

Wal-Mart sells exides now? I thought they were strictly neverstarts. I've always had good luck with exides.

5. 219PLOWER

219PLOWER Junior Member

I had the same prob in my 95. i upgraded all my grounds to 0 gauge and ran a 4 gauge from the back of my alternator to my Pos post instead of that stock 8 gauge. when im plowing it goes down too 11 when i lift up my plow and turn it. then it goes right back too 14v. ive got 2 optima red tops also. Try the upgrade in the wiring.

6. musclecarboy

I got the batteries at PartSource.

As for the wiring, I'm pretty sure the duramax trucks come with heavy duty wiring already.

7. heather lawn spray

heather lawn spray PlowSite.com Addict

the wiring may be heavy duty but so can the CORRISION. Polish the piss outta the connections

8. musclecarboy

They were all shiny but I scrubbed them anyways and put a dab of electric grease. PartSource said they'll swap the 105A alternator for the bigger 145 amp one for free so I'll do that first

9. heather lawn spray

heather lawn spray PlowSite.com Addict

Always found the 105's wouldn't keep up to seriously long sessions. You'd have to stop and gun the engine for a few minutes to get the electrics back.