1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Low voltage

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by hbrady, Feb 9, 2016.

1. hbrady

hbrady Senior Member

I purchased my truck 2 weeks ago from a RAM dealer who is also a Fisher dealer. So far they have been great to deal with and I don't want to be too pushy but I had an issue this AM. My used 2015 2500 HD did not come with factory plow prep so I don't have skid plates / high capacity alternator (180amp), I have the standard 160amp. When they decided to hang a 9'6'' V on the front wouldn't you have thought they would upgrade alternator? I was out plowing for about 30 minutes this AM and got a low voltage warning. I let the plow rest for about a minute and it didn't come back but I don't want to deal with that on a regular basis. Am I being unreasonable if I ask them to put high cap alternator in?

2. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

If you pay for it, sure. Is it gas or diesel

3. hbrady

hbrady Senior Member

Gas, so due diligence doesn't include a dealer upgrading alternator when the install a plow?

4. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

There might be something else wrong. 160 is plenty for the most part, you running lights or extra aftermarket stuff?

5. hbrady

hbrady Senior Member

Only extra stuff is LED light bar and LED backup lights. I was pushing a tight spot with lots of plow movement, light came on when I was tight against bank trying to raise plow.

6. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

Probably the dealership will think your unreasonable if you just ask for the 180. Has old dog stated above could be other issues. I would be more concerned with the gauge rather a idiot light or message. Let the dealership diagnose the issue. If you find out that you need a 180 be cordial with service managers, I'm sure they appreciate your biz as you did buy the whole package from one source. Use your negotiation skills, Maybe you could get the labor free for the 180 as they did install the plow. Be cool it can't hurt being nice. Some don't respond good to unreasonable demands. Good luck. Let us know how you make out.

7. hbrady

hbrady Senior Member

Glad I asked, I'll give it a couple more storms and see if it's a frequent issue. If it is I'll ask if they will install it at cost + labor. I guess that's reasonable :)

8. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

It is reasonable if the 180 is the issue.

9. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

There's your problem there.
    Your plow was is a snow back and you were trying to raise it. That's a no no for the most part.
    Lots of plow movements take lots of juice, plan your moves, and turn off unnecessary accessories. Sometimes helps to idle the truck up to 12_1500 rpms for a little while to recharge the batt.
    And why would an installer add a high amp alt if you didn't ask for it?

10. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Just my opinion,but I think you have another issue. I put a new plow on a non plow prep 1500,and sat and moved the plow continuously for a couple minutes and had no problems.I know this isn't an apple to apple comparision but I don't think a bigger alternator might not be needed.Hate to throw money at a problem without some solid info.

11. hbrady

hbrady Senior Member

It was a truck THEY put plow on before putting it on lot. A package deal. The reason I would expect them to is because if a RAM dealer is going to sell a package (truck and plow) you would expect them to equip it properly. Another example, they put nice aggressive tires on it because they were selling it as a plow truck. The RAM plow prep includes 800 amp, hence my thinking 600 amp may be too small. Maybe an 8'6'' SD would be OK but the 9'6'' V must call for more juice.

I may expect too much but I shouldn't have to turn off my heated mirrors in a $40K used truck while plowing so my battery doesn't get drained. :rolleyes:

Still getting used to Fish Stick / V hence my no no move :D

12. hbrady

hbrady Senior Member

I know my 7'6'' HD plow drained my Silverado battery very fast. While doing fluid change I ran the plow a few movements on battery alone and got low voltage warning. Of course my Silverado had 70 AMP alternator so I never had issues when running.

13. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Hate vehicle electrical problems,always a big puzzle.I feel your pain,new truck should operate flawlessly,hope you get it straightened out Thumbs Up

14. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Remember dealers don't generally know the behind the scenes info on plowing so to speak.
    I personally had to show interested customers how to mount/dismount the plows, and how to engage 4x4 etc....don't think dealers know it all.