1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Low voltage when moving plow

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Ipushsnow, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Ipushsnow

Ipushsnow Senior Member

05 Dodge 2500 with 8'2 Boss V plow. Last winter when plowing if I was moving the plow around quite a bit at low RPM's the voltage would drop REAL low. If I let is sit for about 30 seconds it would move right back up. I wasn't too concerned, but it is kind of annoying, and I don't want to wear something out. Think a bigger battery will do???

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

That will happen if you play with the plow. If the battery is original time for a change and get the biggest one you can.

3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Not only a bigger battery, think running 2 batteries.
    but first......
    When was the last time you changed the fluid and cleaned the filters?

next.
    What type of hydraulic fluid were you using.

lately,
    Clean all of the electrical connections.

4. Enzo

Enzo Senior Member

Yeah I got a stock battery on my 02 F250. I got a dump insert, plow, whelen tir3, and a beacon light bar running on this battery. I am looking at doing two battery system or just taking this one out and putting in an Optima.

5. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Go for the dual batteries. It's well worth it.

6. Ipushsnow

Ipushsnow Senior Member

Thanks boys. The plow was brand new so I don't think it was the fluids or filters. I will look into the dual batteries, or at least the biggest battery I can get. Thanks again!

7. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

o.k.
    Take a look at how the installer hooked it up.Take a good look at the trucks wiring.

Upgrade the stock wiring.
    Add or install a larger + poss wire from your alternator to your battery, run bigger ground wirer also.

Is the plows -neg hooked up to the battery -neg post or is it grounded to the frame/body? Hook it up to the battery.

Also if your plow has been sitting around (even if it is new to you) the hydraulic fluid absorbs moisture from the air. If any moisture is in the fluid the ice crystals will clog your filters..

Get a battery with 1000cca.

do a search on duel batteries...
    it has been discussed and discussed.........;)