1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Low voltage ram 2500

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by DHannes, Nov 17, 2014.

1. DHannes

DHannes Junior Member
    from 14141

Purchased a used 2006 ram 2500. I had boss dealer put new truck side everything. Every time I lift or extend the plow, voltage gauge goes way down and chimes. New battery and heavy duty alternator this summer. The same plow works fine on my diesel f350. Is this because it has two batteries, do I need another battery in my used Hemi. I was wondering if there were any great trouble shooter fixes short of taking it to the boss dealer. Thanks
  2. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

Do an amp draw test on the plow. Do the same on the new alternator. Are all your grounds clean?
    My 96 Dodge with one battery run a V plow with no problems. I put a 200 amp alternator on it and it will put out 186 amps a idle.
  3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

What's "way down"
    What else do you have on while your operating the plow?
  4. JeffCueni

JeffCueni Junior Member

Noticed the same thing on my "new to me" 06 ram 2500. New Blizzard Speedwing, dealer installed. When I raise the plow, voltage drops to 11ish, but when I let off, it jumps right back up. We're only talking about 2-3 seconds. I did see the "check gauges" warning light once the last time i was out.
  5. JustJeff

JustJeff PlowSite.com Addict

What MaxwellP said. Check your alt's output. How many amp alternator is it?
  6. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

That's normal....
  7. DHannes

DHannes Junior Member
    from 14141

I haven't had a chance to check the loads yet. I live south of Buffalo so have been plowing non stop. Every time I hit the pump, the gauge still drops but immediately returns. The plus side of plowing 5 ft of snow, not much strain on plow as you lift because it rides right up the piles.
  8. cdmckane

cdmckane Member

I get the same thing with my 2007 2500. I have the stock 136 amp alternator. I'm putting a 160 on it and installing a 2nd battery as well. Until I get that done, I just make sure that I'm slightly on the gas when I have to raise or angle the plow.