1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Low Voltage ?? Please Help

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Sharpshooter77, Sep 3, 2007.

1. Sharpshooter77

Sharpshooter77 Senior Member

I Have 1995 F-350 with a 5.8 windsor and The other day I replace the passenger side front fender with a new one. And when I was all done and went to start my truck the voltage gauage was down really low and the battery light was on. So today I went and had my alternator tested and found out that it was dead and So I replaced it with a new one and started the truck up and the battery light was still on and the voltage gauage was still down low. I had the new alternator tested to find out the it was defective too. So I got another one but I had them test it before I walked out the door and It checked out great also I bought a new battery at the same time. Now I went and put the new alternator and battery back in and when I went to start the truck the battery light did not come on, But the voltage gauage is still way down its on the "N" in "NORMAL", before all of this it is usally up near the "MA" in "NORMAL". Right now I need some ideas and help how to tackal this electrial problem. THANKS GUYS.

2. yamaguy

yamaguy Senior Member

Have you ever checked out ford-trucks.com ? If not try it is a very good site with alot of knowledgealbe guys. Good luck

3. mike psd

mike psd PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

depending on how long the battery was sitting on the shevel it could need some juice. your really supposed to give a slow rechange a battery once it off the shevel . most places don't do it . the best way too check is if have a DVM test the battery with a load not running. then fire it up test once again your going to want like 14.0 -14.5v 14.2v is the normal for most cars and trucks . once more thing if getting high resistance is look at your wires some of trucks there know for breaking or melting off at the alternator . what kind of Amps did you get i hope something high if planning on plowing . just IMO never by alternators or starts from your advances or auto zone there parts sux .

4. Sharpshooter77

Well Guys I found the problem I traced the one of the wirers down for the selnoid and I found it part way down it was broken and all chewed up. Looks like some little animal was chewing onit. Chewed right the threw the protective covering too. But Everything is A O.K and 100%. Thanks for the help guys.
    Shane

5. yamaguy

yamaguy Senior Member

Good glad to hear your up and running.

6. Kevin Kendrick

Kevin Kendrick Senior Member

What is a "shevel"?

7. Sharpshooter77

Kevin- I think Mike means shelf they put a charge in the batteries so they stay good on the shelf at the store, they way they wont lose their charge.

8. mike psd

mike psd PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

oops gotta forgive me