1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

low temp hydraulic oil

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by FourDiamond, Mar 6, 2015.

1. FourDiamond

FourDiamond Senior Member

What type of hydraulic oil is anyone using in a truck with central hydraulics? This is the first year for a new truck with this set-up and on zero degree mornings the controls are very sluggish. Can low temp plow pump oil be used to help the viscosity or is something else better?? Thanks
  2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

That's a baited question.

It varies, what are we talking about,
    Central hydraulics covers a lot of ground.

What is it on, and what does the mfg recommend?
  3. FourDiamond

FourDiamond Senior Member

The central hydraulics is on a 2007 Chevy 3500 dump. A hydraulic pump driven by a belt off the engine provides hydraulics for all operations of the plow, both up/down and angle. It also provides pressure for the tailgate spreader and the dump body.
  4. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

5. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

I installed a heating element in my hydro reservoir that I spliced in with my block heater plug. So when I plug my truck in, it heats engine and hydro fluid. The pump still squalls when super cold and I first kick in the pto, but I now spin spinner with auger set at zero and get fluid circulating while I'm loading snow blower and walk behind spreader, all with truck still plugged in. By the time I have everything loaded and windows cleared, the fluid had circulated for about 5 mins. and gotten system warmed up slightly. You might give that a try. I bought the heater from a local company called Force America.
  6. john r

john r Senior Member
    from NJ

A 10w Hydraulic/trans oil is probably what you will use. Engine oil has better wear characteristics than hyd. oil but is more expensive. If you're in a super cold environment you can even use a 5w.
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
  7. scottr

scottr Senior Member

This is what I run, so far so good but I haven't run it long, I can tell you it's the only Cat approved oil that will work in the new M series graders up north where I work. It's the XL lo temp, 0-20w and has a -60F pour point.
    Typical Performance data

8. LON

LON Senior Member

I run AGIP ISO/AW 15W in all my clutch pump truck builds. I use to be able to get 10W but low sales volume got it cancelled. It's pricey but worth it.
  9. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

AW 32 should be fine, always used it. Let it warm up just like an engine.

Never run anything but.
  10. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

This is what we run in all of our trucks.