1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Low Spill Couplers and Regular Couplers

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by odd1or2even, Dec 16, 2008.

1. odd1or2even

odd1or2even Senior Member

Why can't companies just keep their crap the same year to year? Wouldn't it make it so much easier? OK now that I vented here's my problem...

I understand there are "round tip" plow couplers (I would assume they are old school). Then there are "pin style" plow couplers. Then there are low spill couplers... which look like what?

I have a MD2 mount on a C8 plow (I think that's what I have one of our plow trucks). But the problem arose last winter when the E60 would lock at full angle either left or right and could NOT get unstuck. I'd end up taking off the plow coupler under pressure and have the oil go all over.

So what I ended up doing was swapping out the E60 which has the low spill fancy block on the side, with an E57 has the low spill as well. When I installed the E57 on the 8 foot plow I could unlock it, and it'd work.

Now I tried the E60 on my other plow STP 7.5' it locked again. on the male side pump, female plow side. The coupler was still pressurized and I could not take it off unless I unscrewed the threads and oil spilled everywhere.

So do you think I just need a male low spill pump side, and this should fix the problem? My next problem is I have 2 spare pumps that I'd like to keep as spares (one for each truck) but they are the standard block with pin valves. Do I need to switch all of their fittings to the low spill in order for this whole thing to work?

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Judging by your diagnosis I'd agree that you simply need the male pump side coupler.

Normally you can run the older non low spills (ones that are 1/4" pipe thread) with the newer low spills as long as the older ones are the pin style and NOT the ball style.

But be forewarned, some of the generic aftermarket old style couplers won't always work with the low spills....but you'll know right away if they don't.