1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Low RPM's when transmission is heating up

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by ToMuchSnow?, Jan 1, 2016.

1. ToMuchSnow?

ToMuchSnow? Junior Member

I have a 2002 Chevy 2500 HD, 6 Litre, Automatic transmission, when the transmission heats up, idles drop when shifting, from 650 to 450, when going into reverse and drive, started of as more of an issue when reversing. Has any one had a similar issue and been able to diagnosis what is causing the issue?

2. extremepsi

extremepsi Junior Member

is the check engine light on ? first place to start

3. ToMuchSnow?

Check engine light is not on, the trucks well maintained, mechanic has had a few chances to look at it, only issue is getting him to look at it while the truck is still running hot, once it cools down there is no problem

4. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

TC might be issue.

5. ToMuchSnow?

Thats what i believe it is too, problem didnt occur until the transmission got swapped, most likely why its heating up

6. extremepsi

extremepsi Junior Member

agreed could be a torque converter problem or wrong fluid was put in ..was the cooler flushed or replaced when the trans was swapped?
    i would check for any trans codes then proceed from there

Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
  7. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

put it on a good scanner and drive it , see what sensors are reading, 1 may be on the way out and not setting a light yet