1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Low range in 2'nd or 3'rd?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by POWERBAND, Dec 15, 2005.

1. POWERBAND

POWERBAND Member

Any problem with using second ( or third) gear in Low range for plowing (manual tranny). Some conditions I find Hi range first gear - too high and Low range first - much too low on the 5 speed Chevy.

(Please refrain from anecdotes about manual vs auto)

Thanx - PB

2. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

First high is too fast? I know when I used to run Standard Trans. I plowed in 2nd gear. First gear was slow. you could walk faster that it would drive. If i remember right 6;1 first and 410 rear

3. max

max Junior Member

Nope. None whatsoever.

4. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

First gear is too high? in 4H? I have never heard of this. Do you know about how fast you are going? You should only be doing about 15mph. Is it that you are trying to break a trail in or something? Powerband--What do you actually have--- Are you running a special cam in your engine that gives you peak torque at a higher RPM over stock or are your axles geared on the low side? The only issue is your transfercase is going to run really hot--you may want to change the fluid and go synthetic! 3rd gear in 4L you should only be doing about 10 mph or so when the engine reving on the high side. I personally have only used 4L to get unstuck or blow a hole in a banking or for pushing back a large bank. So maybe once or twice a year! Granted the trans I had was one with a low gear then 3 more gears and 3:73 gears in the pumkins. Just trying to help!

5. POWERBAND

POWERBAND Member

Low and slow

Well this might be helpful:

I am referring to tight residential plowing with a deep heavy accumulation where you can't get any momentum. It's not power needed - just maintaining traction while getting moving. Using ballast for traction and careful application of power but was wondering if the tranny minds the 2'nd or 3'rd gear from a stop.

PB :cool:

6. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

Got Ya Yer blazin trails!--Nope should be fine--since this is lower than normal 1st gear. Truck will be working hard, but thats what they are ment to do! I would change the fluid in both tranny and t-case if it hasn't been done in a while.

Good luck