1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Low Profile Speaders

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by SD-Dave, Dec 28, 2005.

1. SD-Dave

SD-Dave Senior Member
    from Vermont

Anyone know of a manufacturer that makes a low profile sander? I have a two yard stainless one now for my F-450 that works fine but the design is tall and narrow. Would much prefer one that was shorter and wider to allow visibility over the unit. With the low cab on the F450 the view out the rear is completely obstructed. A lower wider unit might afford some view, when I upgrade to a new Kodiak next year with its higher cab height a lower wider unit will really provide a less obstructed view. To date I have yet to find anyone making one. Any suggestions?

SD-Dave

2. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

This doesn't help but isn't the reason the boxes are high and tight so the sand/salt falls down to the chain. I would imagine if the spreader box was wide and shallow you would need one hell of a vibrator to get the material flowing.

Ever thought of a back-up camera, they make one that the image is displayed in your rear-view mirror.

3. mrplowdude

mrplowdude Senior Member

I have a sno-way lo-pro 8' spreader on a Ford F-350 with a flatbed. I still can't see out the back window of the truck. I would just stay with the big one and get the Back up camera. I a getting on installed on my truck. For a screen the make a piece that goes over the rear-view mirror, so it would be liking having one. Very cool.

4. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

Swenson makes a low pro electric 7 foot Vbox. I bought one this year and love it. I paid 3200.00 plus tax. It is powdercoated.

5. Joe Lombardo

Joe Lombardo Member

I have a 1 yd Downeaster Electric low pro, It is one nice spreader. I have it mounted on a Ford F-250, it is considerably lower than the 1.7 yard I used to own but you still have to stretch you neck to see over it when backing up.
    Paid $2700.00 for it.

6. mrplowdude

mrplowdude Senior Member

Sno-Way 8' electric 1.5 yard painted spreader $2300. The dealer would be about 1 hour from vermont i think.

7. jsaunders

jsaunders Senior Member

Just use your mirrors and be carefull.

8. snow plow man57

snow plow man57 Member

hey u old guy need to get stronger glasses. what u need is a good chevy nothing like m. there werent to many times u had to stretch your neck with the 1.7. i found look over your left sholder look down the side u get little more site this way.:salute:

9. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

I had the same problem till I told my wife to sit down in the back of the truck when we go site to site[because i didn't want to use those things sticking on the side of the doors of my truck].Once we get to the next site then she could stand up and throw the sand around.

10. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

Not to sure if a rearview mirror is an option on a kodiak.Don't remember that on the option sheet for my Mack triaxle:rolleyes:

11. SGLC

SGLC Senior Member

Ok, now that is funny.