1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Low profile salt spreader?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by NorthernProServ, Jan 17, 2014.

1. NorthernProServ

NorthernProServ PlowSite Veteran

Hey guys,

I currently own a boss tgs-800 and I am fairly disappointed in the product due to a few reasons.

Does anyone know of any low profile in-box salt spreaders that sits flush with the bed rails or just a titch above them? I'm looking for something between the 1-2 yd range, my main priority is not having a blind spot since it won't solely be used as a salting truck. I'd also like it to be an electric spreader, but I'm keeping my options open. It'll be mounted on 06' f350 with an 8' bed.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  2. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

You're going to have a real tough search finding a vbox spreader that small. I think a small Snow-Ex 3000 is about your only option.
  3. MisterG

MisterG Junior Member

Not to go off topic, but what issues are you having with the TGS-800? I've been considering that exact model, and am more than a little curious.
  4. Hegartydirtwork

Hegartydirtwork Senior Member

Sno-way makes some that are low profile and 3/4 to one yard capacity they are stainless and electric
  5. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

You're not going to find a v box that holds that Mich and is that small unless you custom build it.
  6. snowplower1

snowplower1 Senior Member

I considered finding a v-box that was that small so me and any of the workers who had my truck would be able to see but honestly you mine as well end up with a 2 yarder and put a reverse camera on it. I just ordered one for 15 dollars and a monitor for 20. cant beat that, plus you have more room to get more properties to salt with the bigger salter.
  7. chachi1984

chachi1984 Senior Member

ive seen something like a dumpbox, with an auger attachments dont remember the brand
  8. djagusch

djagusch 2000 Club Member
    from mn

Plow world in east bethel has a customer who bought one last year and is now for sale pretty low profile, snoway model.

Have you thought of using a dump insert and tailgate spreader like truck crafts? That would be about 4"s taller then the box sides.
  9. wondo

wondo Senior Member

I was worried about the same thing when I went to a v box but honestly it's not that bad you just rely more on your mirrors. I have a lot of winding driveways and some tight areas of my lots if anything it probably just made me more careful.
  10. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

Swenson makes a 8 or 6 ft electric Vbox that is low profile. It is called the LPV model. I had one and sold it because it didn't have a swing away chute, It sits flush with the bed rails.
  11. allseasons87

allseasons87 Senior Member

Dump insert with truck craft under tailgate would work.
  12. CreativeEarth

CreativeEarth Junior Member

Smith sanders mini max is low profile with swing up chute.
  13. NorthernProServ

NorthernProServ PlowSite Veteran

Complete garage is a simple word. It clogs up EVERY time we use it, if the salt sits for more then a few hours it clogs. You have to turn it on, step out and go shake the hell out of it. That is the big one, and it sucks. By buying a tailgate spreader we knew it was not going to hold a too much, but some of the smaller lots you are empty before you finish...then it is scoop time!

The RT3 attachment system, was an $800.00 option the dealer did not know about, along with the top grate/bag opener was $150.00. Only had to pay some of that after some :realmad:.

Overall, we regret buying it!

Looked online at them and this looks to fit the bill prefect!!! Summer and winter use!!

Do you know if this would work with a back rack installed?
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2014