1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Low oil pressure all of a sudden

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Sealer People, Dec 9, 2009.

1. Sealer People

Sealer People Senior Member

Hi guys, I have a 1996 chevy 2500 4x4 diesel.

I had the oil coolant line changed a few days ago & so far so good, however, today while I was plowing, I noticed the oil pressure gauge is lower than normal. Normally its about half way at about 275 KPA.

now even when I press the gas pedal shes still only at about half of that.

Another thing,,,, my fuel gauge today is sort of on the fritz,, up & down.

Any advice???????

WRIGHTWAY Senior Member

Sounds like a ground wire got broke or disconnected during the repair
  3. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

Check the oil lines just to be sure they are still connected right. I had one come off-and the oil pressure goes all the way to 0. It could be leaking, which will cause low pressure. The oil lines come right off the pump, so if it leaks there, everything is affected. If all looks good, then it is probably just a ground wire issue or something along those lines.
  4. Sealer People

Sealer People Senior Member

Hi, guys & thanks for the replies.

I dont see any leaks. The truck is running well. but the gauge is telling me that the oil pressure is still lower than usual.

When we changed the coolant lines, should we have changed the engine cooler ??? we did not at that time.

In regards to grounds being bad,,, where would I look for a bad ground that would affect that ?
  5. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Just a real stupid thing but check the oil level. Was having a real bad problem with this in my 97' and decided to see what changing the oil would do, i only pulled out 2-3 quarts, that was pretty scary!!!! Haven't had the issue since!

WRIGHTWAY Senior Member

Grounds are all over the place with out knowing the truck id just say start looking for anything broken, lose or disconnected

Another thing try changing your oil filter they can collapse and restrict flow
    Fram is one of the worst get a wix, mobile 1, and k/n