1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

low oil preasure

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by dimbo, May 6, 2003.

1. dimbo

dimbo Junior Member
    from canada

hello

I have a 93 chev 4x4 and it has a 3 year old motor in it from G.M. I never reall noticed but the motor doesent have any oil preasure. when it warms up its around 100 kps it this nom or is the gauge messed up or pump going or is the motor going .. it runs good and has lots of power. only 62000km..

2. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

You guys and your metric stuff:nono: :)

Good rule of thumb is 10psi at idel and 10 psi more for every 1000 rpm when warm to keep a sbc alive. At 5 grand say you should have about 50psi.

What oil you running? I dont like the idea of using syryp for oil. If you need to do that to keep it alive all you are doing is scraping another few miles outa it and its rebuild time. 10 30 in the summer and 5 30 in the winter unless the motor was built different but a gm crate should like that.

The first thing to do though if you suspect an oil pressure problem is to stick another gauge on it. Go buy a cheapy from your local racer supply or from jegs or something and verify what pressure you have.

The newer motors do run a bit more oil pressure stock than the 10 per 1000 rule.

I will let you or someone else do the conversion. You guys dont have metric RPM too do ya :p :)

3. wyldman

wyldman Member

100 kilopascals is around 14 psi,which is acceptable.Does it go higher when you rev it up ?

If you concerned,get an accurate gauge on it and see what it really is,it could just be a bad or inaccurate sending unit.

How long ago was the oil changed ? Oil will break down over time and you will see a pressure drop.

BTW,welcome to Plowsite :waving: