1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Low low or not????

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Switchless, Nov 17, 2003.

1. Switchless

Switchless Member
    from NJ

This is my first year plowing. It seems logical that low low puts less strain on the trans. What are the pros and cons to standard 4 wheel drive and low low. I'm using a new auto F250 gas 4x4 work truck with regular 7.5 foot plow. I'm doing only 100 foot or less sized residential driveways and snowblowing.
    Thanks,
    Pete

2. Sidebuz

Sidebuz Member

Me: I stick about 500 lbs. of weight in the back end and push in two wheel drive 95% of the time. When I do need it, four wheel drive (not the real low setting).

3. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i would use the 4 wheel drive low only in extreme situations very deep snow pulling a stuck out i use 4wheel drive high im sure you have all the right gearing 4 wheel high is fine :drinkup:

4. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

i only use low for heavy wet snow
    id try 4hi first if it sounds like the truck
    is working hard then use 4low
    john

5. tovoninc

tovoninc Senior Member

I plow in 4 hi all the time. Use the momentum of your moving vehicle and common sense to keep the strain off your tranny: come to a complete stop before shifting from forward to reverse and vice versa, be sure that your truck is moving before dropping your plow, after hard usage of your tranny besure to let the truck idle to cool the fluid, install a secondary tranny fluid cooler if not already equipped, change your fluid (buy a name brand) and filter mid season. Don't forget that you drive a truck and not a bulldozer and you won't be stranded.