1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Low Coolant?!?!

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by turbo5560, Oct 17, 2007.

1. turbo5560

turbo5560 Senior Member

So i got a 2002 3/4 ton HD with the 6.0. Sense i bought it i've had to change the oil 3 times. The last time i did it myself and did not put any coolant in it like the oil change places sometimes do. But today... i had the check coolant level light come on. Is this normal or do i maybe have a leak. Have never saw any spots on the ground. Any ideas or is this normal to have to add some every once in awhile?
    Thanks guys...

2. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

leak

i think the oil change place's did not put any in it,the sensor's are very sensitive ,and they fill them very close at the factory ,some times you can add some when you get some miles on them i know of three truck's that when they got about40- 50 thousand on them the low coolant light came on . added just a little bit and it went out and never came on again.if it does have it checked out.

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It's not normal to have to add coolant at every oil change.
    Since your not sure if it's had to be added in the past, I'd recommend keeping an eye on it to see how long it goes before it need's more added again.
    If it need's more in a short period of time, then you definitely need to check it out for a leak.

Note: The 6.0's are known for coolant leaks at the external coolant crossover lines between the cylinder head's so if you do need to check it, don't over look those, or the water pump.