1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Low Ballers

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PPP, Dec 31, 2009.

1. PPP

PPP Member

I don't post here much, but I have a reason to tonight. I bid on three large condo complexes at the beginning of the season ( I do the landscaping on one of them 25 acres). I was awarded one of them. I have a signed contract. The last storm we had over 20 inches of snow. It took over 22 hours to make the place look like a million bucks and satisfy the on site property manager who was there only to check in from time to time. I made three follow up visits the next three days for additional clean up and removing/relocating the excess snow at pre negotiated pricing per visit at the Property managers request.(I don't feel the other visits were even needed). I explain to the on-site manager that there is a cost associated with this and he calls in the approval. People from the complex that I landscape and mow (nearly next door to this place) can't believe how good it looks compared to theirs. The regional manager came out to inspect the sites the day after the storm and commented how good it looked with all the black asphalt showing (Thanks to Magic Salt).The other sites had 2-3 inches of packed snow on them days later. They call me today to make sure I will stop by to check on if the site needs plowing. I was in constant contact with the property manager. He tells me he has an errand to run and I let him know I was on my way. It had been spitting snow all day, but had just started coming down heavy. As I pull in the lot I see another truck all smashed up whipping through the place with it's plow down. It wasn't even at my trigger amount by then. I called the Property manager, he tells me my price was to expensive for this snow amount and he found some kid to plow it for $250??????? (this is a very large lot, takes two trucks and a skid steer to effectively plow) I get the kids attention and send him on his way. I cleaned up his mess, shoveled the walk ways, then salted with my employees as per the contract at the trigger amount. I even have my equipment on site as well as my salt pile. I have a signed contract that states my price and responsibilities with a 7 day right to cancel the contract. The property manager comes back and tells me that I will not be getting paid for my services tonight. I was able to get a hold of his supervisor this eve (New Years Eve) and now I need to take Monday and go to there office to discuss it?? This is very unprofessional and we are expecting another 3 to 6 inches before then. If I don't plow I'm out of contract and responsible. I'm almost speechless to say the least. I'm going to press them on this. What's the purpose of a contract? Sorry for the long post. Happy New Years Everyone!!!!!!!! It only gets better..............

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

hold them to the contract, or take them to court.
  3. naturalgreen

naturalgreen Senior Member

sht that sucks
    I have neverhad this happen.
    had people complain mid season because a big snow cost too much but never dump me immediately and get another company.
    unfortunately they will call you in a month when they have three slips.
    dont know your contract but check the wording and hold them to it.
  4. ACA L&L

ACA L&L Senior Member

If the contract states that you are paid X for doing X, then they are breaking contract. If they approved of your work, and approved the price pre season/storm, they are violating the contract. If they want to cancel then they need to give you the 7 days cancellation and be current with there bill. Sounds like they want the quality not the price. Buyers remorse! Its like buying that new 3/4 ton diesel truck, driving it for a couple of days and when you head to the gas station to fill up, you decide that the 80 bucks to fill it up is to much so you head back to the dealer looking to looking to get that short bed, 6 cylinder, 1/2 ton stock gasser truck.......or something along those lines. I would stand your ground and state your case. Sounds like you do top notch work, good luck and hope it turns out good for ya.
  5. naturalgreen

naturalgreen Senior Member

agreed but cancellation period should be in contract. I imagine every state has its own time period but I spell it out in my contract so they never dare just go with someone else. I am in st. louis and snow is sparse but can be wicked every few years and customers get a shock since they paid very little year before but they just groan and pay.
  6. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

What a bunch of horse shiit. If they had a problem with the bill(which they shouldn't cause its in the contract) they should have talked to you before hiring somone else. Mark my words that"kid" is either a tennant who is behind on rent or a friend/relative of someone. Make damn sure you plow that next storm cause if you don't you will create a out for them. Hold their feet to the fire.:yow!: This is the low of the low.
  7. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

This business never ceases to amaze me. People are even more cheap this year than last if that's possible. I'd take them to court, personally. You have CONTRACTS for a reason. Good luck man.
  8. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

give them hell, sounds like they are trying to push you around, i would go in with your documentation, your contract, etc, and possibly even your lawyer!!!, these @ssholes deserve everything they get.
  9. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

Keep plowing till you get cancellation in writing if that what the contract outlines. Give em your bills to the effective date,(when you receive written notice). To bad your dealing with idiots.
  10. PPP

PPP Member

Good News!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After a 2 hour meeting with parent management company they sided with me on this. The onsite manager got a slap on the wrist. There is justice out there. It pays to stick to your guns.........
  11. bru z71

bru z71 Senior Member

what is the goin rate for a guy with his own truck
  12. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Wonderful, I'm glad you made out ok on this, now are you going to send them a bill for the two hrs it took to slap the onsite manager on this wrist. They should literaly slap him upside the head. LOL :drinkup::bluebounc
  13. badabing1512

badabing1512 Senior Member

Manager should get canned
  14. fordzilla1155

fordzilla1155 Senior Member

hire the $250. guy as a sub.
  15. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

im in complete agreement, no need for this manager to act like this, deserves a lesson!!!
  16. tjlands

tjlands Senior Member

Good for you, glad it worked out.
    Can you imagine the fiasco if someone had slipped and fell while the other guy was in there,
    that would have been a fun lawsuit.
  17. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Glad this worked out for you, seems like the owners understand words like liability and contract.

With any luck, the manager has learned a lesson here about property management and that it menas more than just getting the leaves raked, pool cover put on and the snow off the driveway. He doesn't deserve to lose his job over this though...people make mistakes...this is one of his.
  18. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

Glad to hear the pro's won one over the ********* lowballers!