1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Low Ballers

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Bporter, Sep 13, 2007.

1. Bporter

Bporter Senior Member

I'm Tired of Low Ballers Ive been to a couple of buisness to give quotes and a couple of the owners are like shell shocked. They say we didn't pay half that last year.
    For instance I went the music store parking lots all the way and they want the snow in one particular area which is kinda of a pain. But anyways so I tell it would be around 125 w/ no salt about an hours worth of work. He's like really last year I only paid 60 But he didn't do a good job.
    ugh...it just make me mad. Like i told the guy "YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR"
    So all you lowballers quit screwing guys that want to do the job right

Thats my Rant for the day

Brian Porter :mad:
    Reliable Snow Removal

2. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

Lowballers are great aren't they??? I talked to a guy last year that told me he had a Lowes the year before. He then told me they bid it per hour at $25 an hour!!!
    I said that was alot cheaper than I could work (I won't get out of bed for less than $90 an hour) then he told me that they really put it to them, they ran 3 trucks!! :dizzy: :drinkup:

I didn't know what to say, needless to say the guy was then and still is OUT OF BUSSINESS :D I can't imagine why :D

Bossman

3. JeepPlow18

JeepPlow18 Senior Member

Yea that is just messed up dam the lowballers! Last year I was a newbie and this one guy called me and said that he was getting overwhelmed. So he threw me a local gas station and a vetanary hospital still in town. They were both off of busy roads not that bad. I never asked him how much would ha give me, my mistake. He then stopped by and gave me, what he said thats what he would be getting if he did it. Anyways gave me 40 for the gas station ( I would have charged 60) and 80 for the vet place( I would have charged at least 100), mind you the vet place was two separate good sized lots, one of which was gravel! :eek: :dizzy: :cry: :realmad:

4. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

I love it when you get to the customer and they say "I need XYZ, my previous guy went out of business"
    You give them a quote
    they get this look on their face: :eek:
    And you are just like "what? why do you think he went out of business"

Personally, I've learned, there are some customers you just don't want.

5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Just tell them to give you a call when there serious about keeping their lot clear of snow so customers can patronize their establishment.
    Then smile :D at the customer and hand them your card. andprsport away.

6. JeepPlow18

JeepPlow18 Senior Member

I like that approach snofarmer.:drinkup:

7. 4tulips

4tulips Junior Member

Read the post titled "how much can you handle". Just imagine bidding a commercial property against someone that already has a full time job with benefits and is just supplementing his income. I prefer to service my landscape acounts for all seasons. Sometimes they hire a new op manager, or the business gets sold, and now the new person in charge is out to save money for the company so they gets bids. What is your bid going to look like if you don't need to feed your family and employee families?