1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

low ballers t-shirt

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by landstroker51, Dec 16, 2004.

1. landstroker51

landstroker51 Banned

I think the serious people that run a serious snow plow business should all get t-shirts made to "discourage" our customers from hiring these guys.
    In my area there is an awful lot of situations going on here.
    One that bothers me is: Our local fire department hires its firemen on a 1day work - 3days off schedule. So what do you think alot of them do on their free days????? SNOWPLOWING/LANDSCAPING! Drives me nuts. Constantly competing against them - it feels like they are waiting in the wings. I have a fairly decent business (70 accounts) and I get through it. But you know damn well that they are not on the same playing field as me - tax, sales tax, insurance etc.
    So I came up with an ad or slogan that I thought was funny:
    YOU DON'T CALL A LANDSCAPER WHEN
    YOUR HOUSE IS ON FIRE.
    SO WHY DO YOU CALL A
    FIREMAN TO PLOW YOUR DRIVEWAY.
    If I put this on a t-shirt this city would flip.

2. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Its probably not a good idea to piss off your local fire dept,you never know when you will need them. There is plenty of work out there,so go after the really good jobs that need your service's 24/7. They pay well and understand that they need someone who can be there 24/7. :yow!:

Regards Mike

3. CamLand

CamLand Senior Member

I have to agree,all your doing is opening up a can of worm with that comment...

4. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

I wasn't going to respond to this but... There is no closing this can. The worms have definitely been set free.

:gunsfiring:

It is totally unfair to label a particular group (like Firefighters) as "low ballers". Just because I don't plow full-time doesn't make me a low baller. I do some sub work for a friend of mine (also a career Firefighter) as well as plowing my parents and my own properties. My friend makes $7,000 dollars a month in payments on equipment for his landscaping and snow removal business. He is fully insured and runs 2 - 2500HD's with 8'6" Fisher straight blades, 1 - 3500 dump with 8'6" EZ-V and sander, 1 - 4500 Dump with a 9'6" EZ-V and sander, and a 753 Bobcat. He has 3 guys working for him through the winter full time. Either he or I are available to take the 4th truck if needed (we work directly opposite shifts) and I can help him out with my own (fully insured) truck if a 5th truck becomes necessary.

I have learned from almost 23 years in the fire service that being a "professional" is not really defined by how or even if one is paid but rather how one presents him or herself and represnts the business or organization.

5. landstroker51

landstroker51 Banned

I am not saying everyone is under this classification.
    I am saying I know what happens here & I know how people are here.
    What I said is true for those firemen that cut the "real" landscapers/plowers throat!

6. landstroker51

landstroker51 Banned

And you know what else - this is how I make a living here for my family and I have been doing it for 15years now. I have alot of money and way more time involved in this. So I am going to protect it any way I can.
    Regardless if I hurt feelings or not.

7. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

I think we all agree that lowballers/uninsured/disreputable people are bad for business (any kind of business). I just feel it is unfair to paint all Firefighters (firemen shovel coal into boilers) with the same brush. That great 1 day on 3 days off (or mine 1 on, 1 off, 1 on, 5 off) schedule includes each work day as 24 hrs long and a pay plan that makes it necessary for most us to work a second job (or run a side business) just to make ends meet, forced overtime on holidays (year round) keeping you away from family, and seeing things that make strong guys puke and being exposed to things no one else wants to deal with.

I am not complaining about my regular job. Like most I do it because of the satisfaction that comes with the job. The schedule I work lets me do that and make a decent living too. I wouldn't trade it for many that I could have where I would be paid better with better benefits and no holidays. I wouldn't landscape full time no matter the pay. No disrespect, in fact I have a great deal of respect people that work in that line because most do a very good job at something I don't enjoy at all.

If I could do just snow removal full time... I would.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2004
  8. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

Scabs are scabs, whether they do it part time or full time. Here in NJ there are people in the landscaping business full time that are cutting my throat and bringing prices down in the snow removal industry. I just do snow in the Winter, not landscaping in the Summer (so I guess I would be FULL TIME SNOW?) but I run several trucks and other equipment 24/7 in the Winter and handle many commercial accounts. It is all part of the business, competition is what America was built on. Can you blame a fireman that just wants to make a little more money to provide a batter home for his family? Can I blame my landscaper/competitor for giving my account a price almost HALF of what I have been charging him for the last 5 years, and finally can I blame the customer for going with the landscaper and saving fifty percent?

Life is too short, don't sweat the small stuff (and it is ALL small stuff!), and just move on to the next account...

or KILL'em ALL and let GOD sort them out!!! :gunsfiring:

9. landstroker51

landstroker51 Banned

Yyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
    HHHHHHHHhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwww!

10. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Landstroker51,

I agree with ya. I know a couple of firemen that do this as sideline and they will tell me to my face that they don't pay taxes. They laugh about it cause its not their "real" job. But lets not group all firmen together, there are a boat load of others who moonlight as plowers/lawn guys and do the same thing. I believe if everyone paid taxes on their earnings that we wouldn't have near as many lowballers. I just want everyone on the same playing field.

11. flykelley

dlcs
    My real job is with GM,almost 28 years. I will be 50 when I retire,to young to sit around. The job with GM is not what it used to be. Time to get out and do something else. I pay tax's on my snowplowing,liabilty Ins,commercial truck ins. We are playing on the same field my friend. I know there are others that don't do those things but there is plenty of work. Move on to a better job and better customers. I do what I say I'm going to do when I say I'm going to do it and I have plenty of work. Oh and the big one I take good care of my customers.

Regards Mike

12. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

There are three kinds of customers.

1- low price= Will put up with poor service, late, bad, but good enough job etc.

2- middle price= expect fair job, will put up with some stuff.

3- high price= want and expect good job, good service, no problems.

Pick your market and go get it. Leave number one to the lowballers as you call them and their customers.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2004
  13. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

I wasn't directing my comments at you. I know for a fact that some partimers do pay taxes cause i was one of them for a few years. My beef is with the ones who don't play fair and gloat about it.

14. DJL

DJL Senior Member

Are you serious? :eek:

You should be the poster boy for UNPROFESSIONAL!!! :nod:

15. flykelley

DLCS
    I was just saying just because someone has another job besides snowplowing doesn't make them a scab. In my case I'm starting to build my business so when I do retire I will have a good start. Now the guys that are not playing on the same field as you and I will sort themselves out sooner or later. I was not chopping you or anyone else,just making a point.

Regards Mike

16. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Not related but I must say that I have a shirt that says "Cops Smell Like Donut S%#$. ;)

17. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I had some polo and sweat shirts made too. But I spent my money advertising my business, as opposed to knocking someone else down. It was a wiser investment in my situation.

18. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

start a snowplowers union

19. caz41

caz41 Member

I really find it hard reading some of this crap. Well for starters and to put things in perspective; I am a fireman, I also plow snow, I have insurance, and I pay taxes and the whole nine yards. I have enough accounts that I can handle, and on the days that I am working I have friends who take care of my accounts. I provide a quality service and my accounts are pleased with the work that I do. What does this make me??? According to landstroker I am a scab lowballer. By his discription I guess I am then. Oh well. He talks about me taking away money from his business, what about my family. Do you think that fireman make a six figure salary? I wish, if I did I may not be working side jobs to have a nice life for my family. But that is not the case and I will do whatever it takes to give them a decent life. And by doing that people like stroker call me childish names, so be it.

Stroker go ahead and make all the t-shirts you want. Bring them to all the firehalls and show all the guys the t-shirts. Do you think they are going to stop plowing and take money away from their families. I think not. There are going to people in every aspect of business that will cut corners to make an extra buck. That is the new American way. Be lazy and do things the easy way. That is not going to change no matter what anyone does. Just remember that what goes around comes around. Most people are more professional than you are. Just think that if all those fireman wanted to stoop down to your level, maybe if you had a fire in your house and your family was trapped inside. If they stooped down to your level and held stupid grudges for petty reasons then maybe they get lost on the way to your house and your family burns... Well I know that they are professionals and would never do something like that. I'll leave you with a quote; Forrest Gump said that life is like a box of chololates. Well it's more like a jar or jalopanos, what you eat today might burn your a$$ tomarrow. :nono:

20. landstroker51

landstroker51 Banned

I think most people here would jump over their dead mother for a quarter!
    And when I move into your neighborhood and dont pay any taxes or insurance - please dont hate me!