1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

low ballers rant

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by robber27, Nov 25, 2013.

1. robber27

robber27 Member
    from NE Iowa

Hey guys need to get this out n vent some. I'm from a small town with few locations to plow. I lost the bid on a gas station that shares a lot with a daycare (that my child is attends for 900 month) to a low baller bid. Today was the first snowfall of the year clean up time is 5am gas and 6 for the daycare. Dropped off my child at 7 and the lot was ankel deep with snow same as the gas station. When i had these locations I NEVER missed these time lines. I recived many complememts on my work and meticulously maintained the propertys when needed. The gas stations snow was piled in the worng location which caused a semi to get stuck not to mention he was tardy by 4 hours. All in all I think they are getting what they paid for. I'm upset because this joker is from the next town over and is cut rate halfa$$ operater that pry doesn't even have insu. I live 2 min away and do all my business with this gas station. In the end we all lose tho ill be lucky just to profit enough to cover my insu now. Ahhhh sooo much better already sorry for the long rant and happy plowing fellas!

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  2. procut

procut Senior Member

Welcome to the snow plow business.

3. MSsnowplowing

MSsnowplowing Senior Member

Take pictures of a few storms and the work they are doing, then go to the owners and compare the job you have been doing with theirs.

You may find that you get it back.

4. XYZSnowPros

XYZSnowPros Member

Due unto others. I would immediately stop using that gas station.
    I'd also stop letting someone else raise your children. Stop using
    the daycare immediately also.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  5. dieselboy01

dieselboy01 Senior Member

It seems like no one cares anymore about service, it's all about the bottom dollar. I lost 3 bids last year for 3 McDonalds. The guy came in at half my price. Non of the stores were happy waiting 12hrs after the storm to get plowed. One manager told me they would not be going with them this year, guess what... they did!

6. robber27

robber27 Member
    from NE Iowa

I would love to boycott buying gas and my child care from these people but they are the only ones in town which blows!

I totally agree that no one cares enough about service anymore. My bids were competitive this year, enough that I would make a small profit if snow fall allowed. I can't cut my rates because of low ballers like this, I would loose money and not even cover my insu. Low ballers hurt everyone, it spreads like a disease from the contractor's to the customer. Make guys like me wonder why I put the hours in.

7. Meezer

Meezer Senior Member
    from Indiana

Time to widen your service your service area a bit & drum up some more business.

8. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

Let it go man.... if the service is as bad as you say it is, then they'll come crawling back. When they do, give them a late signup penalty.

Don't boycott them. Don't even complain to them. If they do, then they won't want to go back to you for the business.

9. 94gt331

94gt331 Senior Member
    from usa

There is so many guys hurting for work now a days, the competiton is so fierce anymore. It's important to try to focus on all our customers very well, and stay competative to keep our work. But I agree it's hard to lose a good account to a bad contractor, it's hard to have loyal customers sometimes. I never really noticed low ballers till a few months ago. There really poping up everywhere in our area.

10. vmurray

vmurray Junior Member

I think that every time you notice the gas lot in a mess, that's the perfect time to top up your tank and mention the condition of the lot... ask how the new guy is working out. Also attach a few of those pics of HIS work to your next quote with INCOMPETENT COMPETITION watermarked across the pics.

11. Meezer

Meezer Senior Member
    from Indiana

Not only there, but other places as well. Stop in drop off a few business cards, etc.,

12. Grasshoppage

Grasshoppage Junior Member

Go where the money is!

As I see it your options:
    1. Do what others have mentioned and market your way back into those and other plow jobs
    2. Go where the money is - I have for 18 years driven almost an hour to where there is money. Figure that drive time/cost into your prices - they have the money - there is money out there you have to drive to it though. I live in a small town without a lot of money NOTHING to do for a living wage here. Drive to the money!
    3. Just keep posting on here if it makes you feel better and do nothing!

13. vmurray

vmurray Junior Member

Of his clients, absolutely, but not the day care....If I was dropping my kid there, I'd probably just tip my hat and say good morning :D

14. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

2 nd that, take pics, sell ur self, u will get it back

Happens all the time

15. robber27

robber27 Member
    from NE Iowa

I hope what you guys are saying comes true about getting work back. I also agree that I need to sell myself more. It think its a scary thing to drive else where for work. Breakdowns, travel conditions, and not knowing my businesses lot conditions is worrisome to me. I don't believe its out of the question but definately something that deserves more thought. Lots of good ideas out there fellas, I appreciate the support. happy plowing