1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Low ballers, getting lowballed then lowballed again ...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Turf Commando, Nov 12, 2009.

1. Turf Commando

Turf Commando Senior Member

Bidded on a (friends) business today, he mentioned he's been getting calls non stop, seems every lowballer is trying to under bid each others $25. He asked me what I'd charge I said certainly not lower then $25 which was last seasons price ......

I'm just amazed how bad things are very cut-throat and nobody cares about insurance only the bottom line price ...
  2. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

does you friend realiza hes gonna have a guy with no insurance and if he gets sued hes gonna be screwed.... i hope every jobroni out there gets a slip and falll and it will end the lowballer revolution all together
  3. Turf Commando

His words were ''I don't ask questions'' :dizzy:
    I said if he hits your building or backs into a customers car you'll care..
    Nobody has common sense anymore...
  4. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

Turf Commando, I wont plow a parking lot for less than $35pp. By the time you cover all your expenses and/or pay your subs there's nothing left. I have a small account that only has 10 parking spaces and still get $40 for plowing and $50 for salting lot and clearing walks = $90 for 20mins. Yes sounds high but the customer would rather pay me for plowing and salting (and being there every time) rather than being sued for a slip and fall. My day job is in allegan and i cant think of any parking lots small enough to do for less than $35. payup
  5. Turf Commando

Thats interesting I go to Holland to work while you come to allegan...
    Anyways, nothings in concrete I can refuse the lot when he calls me back in 2 weeks..
  6. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Leave the "reverse auction" to others. It's a game where everybody loses.
  7. oman1999

oman1999 Senior Member

All of our bids include the line:

"$1,000,000 commercial insurance provided through XXXXXXXX insurance group / company" Proof of insurance provided with signed contracts.

This has helped on several bids, as they called other companies to verify insurance coverage and the reply was..."Yeah, i have car insurance"

8. Turf Commando

Sitting this one out, already notified my friend to go with fly by nights..

WRIGHTWAY Senior Member

Never thought to add that smart very smart :nod:
  10. Exact Services

Exact Services Senior Member

If you are charging $25 or $35 for a small parking lot...what are you charging for a residential driveway 2 cars wide and no more than 2 cars long....:confused:
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
  11. Turf Commando

I don't have any in that configuration (residential)....
    Most my commercial lots are $55 and $65
  12. Scott's

Scott's Senior Member

I know a gas station thats looking for a plow guy in that range.
  13. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

short single driveways start at $12, but a driveway like you talk about starts at $18 and goes up from there. Depends on how close to other driveways and what part of town. Driveways in a $500k house or more neighbor hood are more, and driveways in my neighbor hood would be less (dont have to drive as far to get to them):nod:
  14. Scott's

Scott's Senior Member

If its the same sz drive why does it matter what neighbor hood it is in?
  15. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

customers in high end neighbor hoods will pay it and still think there getting a deal, I guess i didnt say anything about the level of difficaulty, the half million $ homes are located in the dunes right on lake michigan (very hilly) and are more of a risk for me to slide into a tree/fence/ect or off a cliff, whare as the houses closer to me are on much flatter serfaces. Over all to me, its the distance traveled to get there and level of difficaulty and the value of the home is how i make my quote
  16. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

And people are always asking for help with pricing
    Just by reading this post prices vary so much by area.
  17. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

I have my smallest lot at about the side of two double car driveways and I charged $100 per push last year. They went with us again this year, and I felt so bad at that rate I lowered it to $80.

I cannot imagine even risking the liability of a commercial account for less than that..
  18. Bolt-1

Bolt-1 Senior Member

Your not kidding !!!