1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

low ballers are here

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by sirsweatsalot, Dec 11, 2002.

1. sirsweatsalot

sirsweatsalot Banned
    from MN

ok sorry but this just really pissed me off. got a flyer in my paper this morning. think about this is frickin middle of december in minnesota! sorry i would scan it if a had a scaner.
    snow removal.
    residential rates
    *per removal
    *includes salk on walkways
    single drive way $20
    double driveway $25
    triple driveway $30

seasonal a flat fee of $300

call for commercial price list.

this sh** just plain old pisted me off. we have at least 5 months of snow up here. so that means hes getting 60 bucks a month seasonal. does he not know it takes money to plow snow. and for gosh sakes a flyer in a big paper is more money then 30 snow account can pay for and still put gas in his truck.

well sorry for this but i just had to vent. he'll learn. we're full for accounts so i wont worry about it now.

2. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

I get $20 minimum per stop, no salt no walks ( per 2") and only if it is 10 x 50 or shorter in legnth.

~Nate~

3. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

They've always been here & always will be, don't fret ;) they usually don't last to long in the biz. The worst thing is they make the rest look like we are over charging $$. I use to cut out the adds & keep them in a folder so when someone would say such & such will do it for X amount of $$$ I show them a collection of old adds & tell them to call & see if their still in Biz.;) I always could get my point across as cheap comes & goes. Or starts to charge more $$$$.

4. elitelandscape

elitelandscape Member

Speaking of low ballers how about this

I'm from canada we have already plowed about 5 times in the month of november none in dec yet. there was a guy that owns a lawn care company here who was advertising 269.00 + tax for seasonal driveway contracts. we have on average 25-30 plows a year i think this is the lowest i have ever seen. there was one last year a paving company was doing driveways for 13.00 a storm and well there not plowing snow anymore. they sold all there equipement off trying to make up for lost revenues.
    We figure this guy will go under if not this year but next. you think about it the most one truck could do around here would be 50 driveways and thats alot when your just sticking someone in the drivers seat who hasn't plowed before. so 50X269.00 =$13,450 per truck. minus gas,men,insurance, break downs, etc etc. he's a gonner.

happy plowing

5. greenquestlawn

greenquestlawn Senior Member

I do not worry about them people.

We have guys here that charge $135.00 per season for a single drive. (walks I would think are extra)

We also have guys that charge $35.00 for plowing.

6. Sno

Sno Senior Member

Ha,
    I tryed to bid a bank lot this year, thought I'd bid a little low cause I was trying to corner an area....

Thought sure I had it...

Some one bid, get this, 35.00

Parking lot in front and back and two lanes of drive up window and two dificult uphill entrances...

35.00 :rolleyes:

7. NoStockBikes!!

NoStockBikes!! Senior Member

Damn, that's actually just plain funny...

8. Sno

Sno Senior Member

It gets funnier....

We had 1" of snow starting in the afternoon and lasted till morning with forcast of upper 40's for the day.

He plowed them in the evening (1/4") and again in the morning.

I never even put the plow on and neither did anyone else in town.

I stopped in a carry out in the same area to get a coffee while i was assessing the snowfall and the woman behind the counter was hot! She couldnt believe he plowed them with that little bit of snow that ended up melted by 10:00 AM.

That was another he got that I bid on... I just smiled, left some cards.

I dont know what price he bid on that one.

9. NoStockBikes!!

NoStockBikes!! Senior Member

$7.23 per push? :D

10. Sno

Sno Senior Member

After expenses.... Probably more like Negative 7.23
    ;)

11. SCL

SCL Senior Member

They're always gonna get some:( My minimum per push is $35, and thats on driveways! Lots go up from there. If you can't make decent money doing it, why push it at all? If I wanted to do something for free, I"ll sit at home by the fire and monitor plow site, not plow and break things:D

12. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

lowballers

there are guys around here who will plow for just beer money

13. Mike Fronczak

Mike Fronczak Member

Around here prices you quoted are stanard or even on the high side. I've lost properties to guys who will plow(commercial) for $ 50/hr. That's with them being insured. We do have more trips than most though (18-20 @ 3"). It's a tuff bussiness but belive it or not margins are still better than lawns around here.
    I belive part of the problems is pushers originated here, everyone has them in commercial & has for years. I've talked to guys that charge the same or less than 15-20 years ago, prices haven't moved.
    Everyone can talk all the want about know your cost & mark-up, but bottom line is you also have to know what market pricing is, & best way to sell contract. Bottom line money talks around here. Commercial example-I bid against one contractor I priced seasona(unlimited trips @ 3")l as request by property mgr., other contractor priced for 18 trips, place was similiar to apt complex(1st trip-plow roadways & clear spots, 2nd-plow cleanup), bottom line each snow fall 2 trips, so all they really got was 9 trips. Guess what he got it.
    In residential I have seen prices as low as $130/season. I started thinking how can they do it so cheap- don't stake out drive & don't reair turf in spring = $ 20/season.
    Bottom line know your market & what your selling against. Next season we will be marketing very strong & competive. We are diong fine money wise don't get me wrong I just get frustrated somtimes.

14. Sno

Sno Senior Member

15. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

I wonder how many bids he's going to get?

The issue of the spelling police hasn't been visited for a while now. Anybody formed a mental impression of this guy?

16. Sno

Sno Senior Member

Well,
    I formed enough that I didnt bother Emailing with questions.

Anyone want to discuss his legalities if some store wins for .02

Looks like a bid for the season to me?

17. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Sno, that is exactly what I was thinking. He didn't put any type of disclaimers that I saw. So I would suppose that he will be obligated to clear any size lot for any winning bid. And he didn't put a limit on it, so I think they could argue for services for a full season.

If he's no brighter than that, I would question whether I would even want him on my place. Maybe that's why he's not getting any bids.

I went back and looked again. He did put a phrase "call for estimate" on it. He intended it as advertising, I think, rather than bidding. But there is a bid shown of .01

Now there's an idea. Put out my plowing services to the highest bidder. Keep taking bids until my route is full.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2002
  18. Sno

Sno Senior Member

Snow plowing or not!

:rolleyes:

19. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

Yepper the lowballers really showed what they had this morning.
    weather forecast was for 2-3" -->>at 2am we had 4-8" depending on the area. So we went plowing at 3 am done by 6am ...grabbed some grub and waited for the town plows to hammer out the roads. (the snow was wet and heavy so i knew the ends of the drives would be buried). Around 8am we start running the routes again to clear out the approaches and there must have been 10 to 15 driveways on each road not plowed yet....... where the heck are these guys ??? don't they check for snow ??

So anyway i go home sleep for 4 hours(except for 6 phone calls from friends and one from Got Grass? i think he had a flat tire)
    around 1pm i go to plow 1 drive that had a few cars in it and look across the street and the neighbors driveway is still not done and she is out shoveling. I have a group of 6 houses here for lawn cutting and all (5) but her take my snowplowing. So being the nice guy i am,, i say hi to her..she says hi back and then i say to her it was worth not spending the extra $100 to have me plow your drive huh ?? she just looked at me and then i waved and drove away.. Yeah i know it's not good for business,but she'll be back

20. mtnbkn9

mtnbkn9 Member

If you think bidding a bank for 35 dollars is bad try bidding a gas station for 20....Now that is scary...I bid $75 on the gas station and I thought I was low..But we were talking to someone here and then they went and bid $20..We no longer talk to him.....Also drove by a few times last year after it snowed they were not plowed...

Last edited: Dec 16, 2002