1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lovin the Wideout

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Hysert, Jan 9, 2010.

1. Hysert

Hysert PlowSite.com Addict

Hey Gents I finally got to use my new wideout this past week 4 days, And I absolutly love this style of plow!!!!!!!!!! I went with western cause they've given me the best luck over the years..... I hope this blade would up production as I picked up 4 more contracts this year and it's shaved 2 hours off my route, even with the new contracts I'm truly amazed..... Yes the cutting edges are wearing out but only about 1/16th every time out..... I've order a spare set from Fall line just incase $90 each..... They only seem to be wearing on the outter 5-6 inches I think I'll flip them from side to side once before replaceing them completely, plus I don't run my trucks up against curbs and S*#T, up here in Canada this sucker cost me $8500 install so I try and take care of my equitment..... Anyways take care and Happy New Year.....

2. procut

procut Senior Member

2 hours off the route, plus 4 new accounts! Wow, what type of plow were you using before?

3. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Wow! It took that much time off your route! You were using a straight blade before, not an MVP right?

4. 06FX4Blizzard

06FX4Blizzard Member
    from NE ohio

Yea.that wideout can move some snow.. Only thing i ve had so far with mine are the wear strips on the back of the wing fall off.. . May wanna keep an on them.. theres one one top of the wing and one the very bottom.. i called the dealer and theres only $8.00 to replace ..

5. Hysert

Hey guys.... Yup 2 hours I was using a 8-6 straight blade before.... with the wideout I can take a full blade width windrowing (amost 9 feet on a full angle) without spilling off the leading edge..... with the straight your only taking 5 before it starts to spill out..... the extra 4 feet adds up quick..... believe me I didn't think so either.... my other factor is the width of the dump box, it clears it by 2 feet

6. Hysert

I would recomend to anyone, providing you've got a 2500 or bigger and a deep pocket, In fact my dealer told me he's seen 2 chev 2500HD with cracked frames from the amount of snow it can move, I will keep an eye on those plastic strips Thanks..... the only problem I've had was the right wing would sag out replaced the solinod.....

7. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

If you have the gussets on your chevy the frame will not crack.

8. wideout

wideout Senior Member
    from iowa

$8500?? Holly crap i would have looked for them on the internet and takin a little drive to pick it up! I gave $5400 for mine drove three hours to get it but it was worth the $1000 i saved over the dealer that was an hour away from me

9. niederhauser la

niederhauser la Member
    from Utah

Yeah it is for sure a time saver even up against a v-plow! I wont buy anything else from now on

10. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

True but then you run into the problem i'm having.. local dealer wanted $6275 for a plow he didn't have in stock, would have to order it, etc. So I got it online shipped to my door for $4800. Quite the difference.. But now the local Fisher guy is mad I didn't get it there and is giving me grief about it and won't replace a $10 lift ram seal under warranty. Anyhoo I know if something major happens he'll be fixing it after I call Fisher direct.

Sorry for all that I've been holding that in for two days-

Awesome WIDEOUT!!

11. Dlongerman

Dlongerman Senior Member
    from IL

i have the wideout, has 5 events under it's belt, and all i have to say is every target im sent to, the other truck there is jealous, because of how versitile it is... i love this plow and have recomended it to anyone who is looking for a plow truck....

12. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

its a very productive plow. wesport i find it back drags well also (because of the weight)

have you added a rubber flap (deflector) to the top... I found this made a big difference also.

I have seen some bent wings around... I would suggest getting into the habbit of putting the blade into straight as you raise and hit a pile.

I only ever had 1 problem in the year I have had mine and it was that a wing wouldnt work.
    turned out to be a small pin ***** in the hose and it must have been getting air or something. My rubbers are starting to wear and Im thinking about making or finiding some replacements maybe with a curb guard also.

13. Fourbycb

Fourbycb Senior Member

I too just purchased a western wideout today and looking forward to pushing my first snow with it.I have heard stories about wearing out the wing rubbers early and such I wonder if those people are leaving them in the scoop mode all the time I mainly will be using for the full width feature

14. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

No you won't, you tip the leading wing in to keep spill off to a min and take larger sweeps with the blade. Yes it makes that big of a difference.

The wings are just what naturally wears first on these blades. There is an option out there from Jerre for a high quality long lasting wing edge, but they aren't cheap. Better wing edges also will help the main edge last longer.

15. LAB INC

LAB INC Senior Member

Do any of you guys have any pictures of your trucks with the wideout plow. I bought a new truck about a month ago and I have been debating about putting a Western wideout on it. I am going to stick with Western because I run them on all my trucks and I want to stay the same. I usually go with pro plus blades but my dealer wants me to go with a wideout he is telling me its a great plow. I will be putting it on a 2010 Ford F350 6.4 PSD crew cap short bed. The price they are giving me is 6,200.00 with a snow defector installed and including tax. I am not to crazy about that price its about 1,200.00 more then the 8.6 pro plus I was going to go with. I don't mean to be complaining about that price but I just payed over 62,000.00 for the truck and we are not exactly getting a lot snow hear in NJ. So if any one has some pics please post them when you have time. Thanks.

16. Hysert

Hi Lab one here's a couple of pic's. Nice Truck put one of these on it!!!!!!!!!!!! You will love it too.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
  17. LAB INC

LAB INC Senior Member

Thanks a bunch looks great. Sweet truck looks nice. Keep them Coming.

18. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Cool plow! How wide is it in it's smallest form? I would be scared to put it on anything less than a 350 though!

19. snocrete

snocrete Banned

I have these and they have worked well. I am on my 2nd season with them. And yes, better wing edges will extend you main edge life.

20. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

beautiful pics, think i might be getting a wideout instead of xls, western dealer is giving me a better price right now, will see whos singing a better tune in the fall on a preseason order .