1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lovin' Lake Effect in N.E. Ohio!!!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by battags, Jan 3, 2010.

1. battags

battags Member

Well, it was considerably late, but winter is here! North East Ohio has been getting steady snowfall for the past few days and its predicted to continue through Tuesday. I love it when the Lake Erie Snow Machine kicks in to high gear!

2. JB1

JB1 Senior Member

just curious, what do they do for school there, how much before they cancel, here they mention snow and they call it off.
  3. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

Send some of it south.. Our winter hasn't even started yet.
  4. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

It has to be pretty bad for them to call it off. It has to be very cold with below 0 windchills and/or alot of snow. Otherwise school is in session
  5. Scott's

Scott's Senior Member

Got 9 trucks sitting if you need help:D
  6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

You Ohio guys keep your moisture and if the Canadians keep their arctic cold I'd be all set with no snow. Instead 18 inches so far in the last day.
  7. battags

battags Member

JB, they actually reduced the number of snow days for our district from 5 to 3. The windchill normally is the trigger or ice.
  8. battags

battags Member

The best part is that it's not falling at an unmanageable rate. My drivers are getting about 5 hours of work every 6 or 7 hours. Enough time to get some sleep and head back out.
  9. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

No kidding we had a few salting apps in Dec. but ever since the 21st it's been crazy! Even down here...I didn't think Lake Effect would reach Stark but it has! Maybe it won't be a worthless winter after all
  10. battags

battags Member

I should probably shut my mouth, but I could use about 4 days in a row in the upper 30's. I'm afraid the lake is going to freeze and put an end to the snow. I also need some accounts to thaw out! Not to mention a little sleep....

11. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

What was that again?
  12. nac lawncare

nac lawncare Junior Member
    from ohio

hell yea lake erie has been my best friend since christmas. kinda glad i had today off but let that snow keep fallin. Im right on the edge of the snow belt in trumbull county. im just goin to keep on prayin to the winter gods that erie doesnt freeze.
  13. battags

battags Member

My inlaws live out your way in Gustavus. Whenever we get pounded with Lake Effect, they miss it, and vice versa. It's definately a difficult weather pattern to get used to. I often wonder how other plow contractors throughout the country would do here, having to play the guessing game as much as we do.....