1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lousy year for plowing here, how'd you do?

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by MLG, Mar 19, 2012.

1. MLG

MLG Senior Member
    from WI

Here in my corner of WI, can you believe we never had a snow storm that I HAD to use the plow for my driveways? Sure, we did have a couple storms, but either the forcast called for warm temps the next day or two and I just let it melt, or in the once instance where I could have used it for the 5", it was just easier to use the snow blower.

That's it, all we had. Now it's been in the upper 70's low 80's for the last week.

So how did you fare where you live?

2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I had 6 plowing storms 1/2 of my normal 12.
    the worst year was 95-96 season I had 4 plowings

3. P&M Landscaping

P&M Landscaping Senior Member

Terrible winter here in S/E Michigan too. Only plowed 2 times, both storms only 3" :cry:

4. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

contractspayup

Had 10 plows, normally 20

A lot of salting tho

5. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

My biggest challenge is dealing w/ the resentment that ties up some of the invoices. Accounting people often times really hate there job w/ the headaches & low pay...I've experienced some deliberate sabotage where my invoices get lost in the shuffle or buried deep in the pile...they never got forwarded to corporate. Now their in deep chit because I had to go over their heads & corporate isn't happy about their screw up. I still need to invoice for two more months of plowing & I almost feel guilty when the temps are holding steady 70-80* for highs w/ night temps in the 50's, but their lack of concern quickly removes any guilt. I probably won't get paid off until July or August for the plowing...in the mean time they still want me to do renovation work on some properties.

It looks like some places are contemplating going back to a push rate, which I think would be a major mistake on their end since the lake temps will most likely be hitting record highs by next fall. It's all fine by me, but the wrong decision may cost some decision makers their jobs next year, because the invoices could potentially double or even triple. A smart decision maker won't change anything.

6. tjmahl

tjmahl Member

2 plowing events 1 on Halloween 3 salting events bought new jeep in February never even used it for plowing. slowest winter here i can remember

7. clydebusa

clydebusa Member

2 salting events here in Tulsa for me. Not complaining too much last year pushed for 14 days 20 hours a day.

8. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

6-9 plows. 30-35 salts

9. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

Hold on to your equipment ..... Only the strong survive !!!!!

10. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

One event... 3", was 50* the next day.

11. ken643

ken643 Senior Member

I had 2 for the entire season, SUCKED

12. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Lovin' life with seasonal contracts!