1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lousy work

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by SteveR, Jan 2, 2011.

1. SteveR

SteveR Senior Member

How long does it take for the manager of a Big Box store to convince Cooperate to fire the US Maint. contractor to bring me back??? I would be embarrassed to put my name on that lot..By the way not a sore loser I chose to not work for US Maint..Just wondering if any store managers got to take over the contracts any where..
  2. TPC Services

TPC Services Senior Member

most have no say in it. the reason the Corporation went to a lower priced contractor is because they are wanting to!!
  3. pmorrissette

pmorrissette Senior Member

is there supposed to be a pic with the original post ?
  4. skidooer

skidooer Senior Member

they get what they pay for, plain and simple. the box stores around here always look like $#!+ they have looked like that for 4 years or so ever since the original contractor got cut off at the knee's.
  5. SteveR

SteveR Senior Member

No pictures And surprisingly enough USM was more than we were..
  6. deereequipment

deereequipment Member

From what i hear, most managers whine to corporate all the time anyway, so if they are whining now, corporate blows it off.
    Nothing will probably happen until someone falls, gets hurt, then sues. At that point, corporate might listen.

Good Luck.
  7. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

Welcome to the new age of snow removal gentlemen..... As much as I hate to say it, they are probably here to stay and the problems will continue...... Same problem here, last year USM contracted a local guy who has a whopping one truck to his name, a Dodge one ton diesel with a straight blade. I'm not sure:
    A) how they expected him to handle it, since i've heard (and makes sense) that they require to see your equipment prior to awarding the contract
    B) how he expected he was able to handle it the job given he normally isn't that great at getting to his other contracts on time

Needless to say, that lasted a whole one storm. USM canned him and sub'd it out to the previous contractor for the rest of the winter costing them a lot more, he doesn't work cheap (thus him not being the current contractor). This year they awarded it to a large lowballer company here, who bids stuff at ridiculous low prices, has 6-8 trucks on the road and still has 1/2 dozen subs that work for them. They pay subs $75/hr and they HAVE to be losing money on them. They bid jobs at close to $40/hr or the equivalent flat rate per push pricing. Un-REAL! Anywho, this company obviously was no better of a choice for the job since they get enough complaints as well (but the price is so cheap no one can say no)..... two hours into the job they called the previous contractor (the one that USM called in to fix it last year, who did it before USM got the deal) and told them they would pay them to push it for them. This guy charges $85 an hour per pickup truck and has a lot of large equipment. Very capable of doing the job. The funny thing is, he lost the contract yet continues the service the account for the same rate he got when he had the contract. I think its hilarious. The company who has the contract this year is LOSING BIG MONEY to have him do it, because USM PROMISED they would sue them if the lot was not done satisfactorily and on time. So to save face they are losing money, keep in mind they have been in business here for at least 7 years that I know for sure, and have 6-8 mostly newer trucks, nice shop, etc. and they do have insurance and legal workers! But they seriously will bid lawns at 1/2 of the next lowest price, which are cheaper than I would consider to begin with. Its just not possible that they have ever claimed a profit.

Anyhow, USM is giving us a lot of good amusement here as local guys are slamming face first into the ground on the deal, left and right..... quite a riot for sure. I wonder how many local guys will go under because of having to sub so much out after finding they can't handle it? At this rate, USM is helping speed up the dying process of lowballers for us! There's gobs of industry businesses and factories around here that are glad to pay us to do a good job we don't need to do the big box stores that USM manages. Not hurting us at this point but I do have sympathy for those who have lost large contracts to them.
  8. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Thanks for the Story......I bet the Red Flasning Light on the Mods desk are going off right now........All those USM mentions in a Negative light.....:eek:
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  9. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I dont think corporate cares if someone falls. they hired out the plowing the plower has insurance, if someone falls corporate blames it on the plower ins covers it.

I dont see how the cost of the plowing changes that formula. thats why corporate goes with the cheapest.

I think that is how corporate looks at it. they pay less get the same coverage maybe not the same quality but you cant sue them for quality.
  10. JB1

JB1 Senior Member

just refer to them as "U Know Who".
  11. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

The company that I sub for just got some "U know Who" contracts, asked me if I wanted 2 of them (wally-world) and I replyed NO, do not have the equipment, with there reply, "but I have seen you plow, I know you can do it". I have one truck 2 shovels and 1 ground man, yeah I can handle 2 wallyworlds! Maybe, just maybe if I had no other lots and I did speed so I could work 24hrs a day Anyway, he took them for 1500 per lot per push, I think that is to low since the lots are at least 3 acers each if not more, oh this included ice melt/salt.
    Anyway, they were told not to do the lots untill just before 4am the monday after Christmas, we had snow then ice then snow again on Christmas and the day after. I have not talked to them to find out how that went yet, but I will be talking to them soon as they owe me alot of money..

and on the same note, I am not sure who has our large mall this year, I knew who did last year and not sure if they still do, anyway it was all over the news about how dangerous the lot was on Christmas Eve, it was a solid sheet of ice, the whole thing (Fayette Mall Lexington Ky if you want to google map it). Who ever was incharge of keeping it clean realy droped the ball....

Why is it that quality service has to come second to price, oh wait don't answer that
  12. milkie62

milkie62 Senior Member
    from Troy,NY

If USM is so bad to work for,why do contractors do it ? To stick out their chest that they are a plowing contractor or what ? There is no way I would kneel down and give in to USM and their requirements.I AM the contractor and these are my rates is what I would be telling them.If I was a commercial guy my rate would be what it is.And I ain't waiting 60 days to be paid unless I fail to bill properly.
  13. procut

procut Senior Member

You guys have to get it through your heads that quality isn't that important anymore. As long as you show up and make somewhat of an effort, chances are the customer will be happy if they think the price is where it should be.

Thats not bad at all, there are 3 acre lots around here going for a fraction of that.
  14. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

You're welcome! And is there any other kind of mentions in regards to USM? Does anyone ever talk good about them? LOL

DR WHO: Wow we'd all be jumping on wallymart for 1500 around here! LOL Well maybe not, but that is a TON more than they are paying here... 2-3 times what the rate is on the local store here! And we have TWO stores, so double the losses of the company that's subbing it out for more than they are getting paid! Ahahahahahaha aaahhahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!

I love it! LOL
  15. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

Wow, I thought that 1500 was cheap, now I may have it wrong it may be 1500 forthe pair, but I am pretty sure they said each.

Well that goes to show you that I am high on my prices, I figger at least 2000 with salt on the cheap side.

I also can be wrong on the lot size, but I thnk most Super Wallies are about the same size parking area.

See, what do I know, and this is why I do not get any contracts that I bid on..:)
  16. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

17. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

@ BushHogBoy

At first glance I thought your signiture said "SOCKS SUCK" then I looked again and seen it was Stock LOL... I need more coffee
  18. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

so double the losses of the company that's subbing it out for more than they are getting paid! Ahahahahahaha aaahhahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!! (QUOTE)

I hope not, they (company) Owes me ALOT of money for other properties they have I did for them, I hate to see them get screwed, they are new to plowing (there a land scape design company) there about my age and good guys. I was hoping that they ended up with alot of good contracts and I got all there Lexington stuff (they are based 30 miles south of me), But if they are getting contracts that pay less then they tell there subs, they will not be around long, and if they do not pay me my 1st invoice this week, well I may own one of there trucks!

Live and learn, or die trying!
  19. Yooper75

Yooper75 Senior Member

I hate to say it but most people don't have a clue how to move snow or what a clean and proper job should look like and what it takes to get the job done for that matter. The other thing is if they have a guy in the truck pushing for them and they are not the owner of the truck most won't think twice about doing a fast and crappy job to get done and on to the next job. It has been a while since I have had a plow on a truck and pushed snow but I just have to shake my head at some of the sloppy work I have seen out there.
  20. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

You are so correct, so very correct.

It aint' there truck, they get paid by the job so they are going to go wide open no matter what.

I don't see how someone can look at a lot and not know they did a crappy job, its not that hard to tell. Oh wait! they just don't give a Rats A** about it......