1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lousy Repair News

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mayhem, Sep 1, 2010.

1. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Just finished the driver's side wheel bearing replacement and the driver's side CV boot lets go on me. Threw my hands up in the air and decided to take it in and let someone else get their hands dirty this week as I have no time for it. Got the call from the shop and as it turns out, I need a bit more than I figured initially.

Both tie rod ends are bent. Both side lower ball joints are shot. Passenger side wheel bearing is on its way out (I knew this actually). One of my back tires has a split in the sidewall about a foot long, right on the bead and the other back tire is my spare so I'm a stranded motoris just waiting for it to happen.

Total bill for everything, including two new tires on the back...$1782.27. One of the tie rod ends is a warranty part and he's doing the passenger side wheel bearing for cost and no labor.

Now the really lucky part. As some of you may recall I lost my job this past February and picked up a new one about 4-5 weeks later at a substantially (10k a year) lower salary. Because of this we essentially went through most of our savings so there really isn't a whole hell of a lot left to tap here. The repair center has pre-sapproved me for $1000 credit and I can come up with about $275. I went to my boss for some advice about where to turn here and SHE WROTE ME A FREAKING CHECK FOR THE WHOLE AMOUNT!! This is of course a loan, but its interest free, payroll deduction and it'll take me a bit over a year to cover it, but still...I don't have to take out new credit and my truck gets fixed before state inspection (October).

As a nice bonus here, this tells me before I get any sort of formal review that my head is not on the chopping block.

Needless to say, the company has just converted an already loyal worked into a REALLY loyal worker. Working for a private company has significant perks...this never would have been an option when I was at the bank. No way in hell.

2. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

Awesome, i am glad to hear that your new job is treating you so well. Some of us employeers well bend over backwards to help a employee out, unfortnuately some employees don't appreciate/respect that as much as you do.

3. bullettooth81

bullettooth81 Senior Member

Thanks for posting! That is a great story. You don't hear much of that going on in these times. That speaks volumes to your worth and how much the company must really value you!

Congrats!

4. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

Good to hear! After reading about your luck in the last week, you were due for some good luck!

5. chitown sparky

chitown sparky Senior Member

I justed finished a big job for my company and made them a ton of money on the job that from the get go was under bid and the day it was turned over to the owners I went to the shop and they tell me good job and now you can sit we have nothing for you Then I find out that all the **** birds that don't give a s**t about the company are working makes me feel like a jack a** will see how hard I work for them when I go back

6. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Got the truck back on my way home from work last night. I opted to throw in the money I was already planning on spending on just the CV joint assembly and had them do all 4 tires instead of just the back 2. Went from badly worn 245/75/16 knobby blackwall cheapo tires I got used to nice new Firestone Transforce AT tires OWL 265/75/16. The new front end components really tightened the truck up and having all 4 tires once again the same OD has made my truck feel almost new once again.

I do my best to maintain my equipment, but the last few years with the crappy economy, no raises and then a job loss, coupled with single income and a 7 year old girl hitting her growth stages (read: lots of new clothes all the time and lots of food) has really made me cut corners in places that you don't want to cut corners.

Now I just need to clean up the rocker rust, change out the hissing AC belt, fix the dangling receiver plug and put a coat of wax on it and I'm ready for winter.

Thanks for everyone's support!

IMG00181-20100901-1925.jpg